• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Two part study of Ben's road issues

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Part one

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...ok-ben-roethlisbergers-road-struggles-part-1/

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
No real substance here. Hopefully Part II states something other than the obvious.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
No real substance here. Hopefully Part II states something other than the obvious.

I was just about to click the link and read it until I scrolled down and saw your post....thanks for saving a few minutes for me. :)

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I was just about to click the link and read it until I scrolled down and saw your post....thanks for saving a few minutes for me. :)

You should read it and if not for the artickle, the comments at the bottom of it.......... Reminds you of a place not so far away........

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not reading it sounds like just anther hate on the special and elite QB.

Yeah it sure sucks having a explosive O every year.

Last years hickup was more about the lack of a number two WR and a FA TE failing than it was about Big Ben. Yet they still made it to the AFC championship with a average D to boot.

99 problems but a QB ain't one

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not reading it sounds like just anther hate on the special and elite QB.

Yeah it sure sucks having a explosive O every year.

Last years hickup was more about the lack of a number two WR and a FA TE failing than it was about Big Ben. Yet they still made it to the AFC championship with a average D to boot.

99 problems but a QB ain't one

Well said and what has ARRON Rodgers done with his elite status ????? Joeseph Flacco ????????? The author of the artickle doesn't seem to know much about football. Football smarts is one thing that many need improvement on. Stats can show any story you want to tell.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It also has a ton to do with our play calling. We are the only team that plays hurry up and no huddle that almost refuses to use it on the road. All you hear is it's about road noise. That is a bunch of bullshit. I have never seen Brady, Manning or others stop using what works just because they are on the road with a little noise. They practice how to use their strength even in a hostile environment. Ben needs to carry some of the blame but from what I have seen, the coaches carry more of it for their terrible game planning.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...ok-ben-roethlisbergers-road-struggles-part-2/

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
You publish a two-part study and offer zero conclusion. That's weak analysis and what happens when you only make charts from stats. I figured they had watched every game and saw a difference in the play calling--something many here have mentioned--as a big reason for the difference.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Just posting out of boredom let you guys draw your own conclusions..some will read some will straight dismiss. Seemed interesting to me..

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Part one

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...ok-ben-roethlisbergers-road-struggles-part-1/

The real deal is Tomlin teams do not play well at all on the west coast and tend to blow games we should have won on the road. But yeah, blame Ben if you must. It is a team game, and the team on the road is often Underprepared, not motivated enough and out coached.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Ben's Home vs. Away QB Ratings:

2012: 97 vs 97
2013: 95 vs. 90
2014: 115 vs. 91
2015: 102 vs. 86
2016: 116 vs. 78

You can blame play calling all you want, but that looks like a trend to me.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Uh. I think he was here before 2012. I'm pretty sure.

Big Apple, your trend thought doesn't work out...

You have discrepancies of

A trend would suggest a regular rise instead of that odd "fix" in the middle. He got better in a season the Steelers were trounced out in the 2nd round and they were TERRIBLE in a season they went to the AFC championship. Doesn't make sense...

And there's a SKYROCKET jump from the 0 to 5 difference all the way up to 24, roughly coinciding (if I don't miss my guess) with Leveon Bell and his inability to stay on the field. As soon as the Steelers thought they had a franchise back and figured they could rely on somebody - he got wrecked and they had to go another route and suddenly on the road it seems the QB ratings fell into the toilet epic style.

See how I can guess at **** with the best of em?

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Always Ben, never Tomlin or the plays called or the receivers that stop in the end zone never trying to move in an open spot, or a running back not made to gain three yards with the defensive line stacked.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
POOR coaching is a B-I-G factor in this episode of blaming Ben. My conclusion would be more towards ill prepared than anything. It's a quicksand effect. If D isn't playing well then O is in the hole playing catch up, etc etc.

This 1st & 2nd part article isn't worth much as it's just statistics put in a chart with no real football knowledge added in. Sorry, NO BUY

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
POOR coaching is a B-I-G factor in this episode of blaming Ben. My conclusion would be more towards ill prepared than anything. It's a quicksand effect. If D isn't playing well then O is in the hole playing catch up, etc etc.

This 1st & 2nd part article isn't worth much as it's just statistics put in a chart with no real football knowledge added in. Sorry, NO BUY

Salute the nation

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben's Home vs. Away QB Ratings:

2012: 97 vs 97
2013: 95 vs. 90
2014: 115 vs. 91
2015: 102 vs. 86
2016: 116 vs. 78

You can blame play calling all you want, but that looks like a trend to me.

Are you telling me team play better at home than on the road? WOW, this is new!

I bet 90% of the other QB's have a similar pattern.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Are you telling me team play better at home than on the road? WOW, this is new!

I bet 90% of the other QB's have a similar pattern.

As true as that may sound coach,...........90% of the other QBs aren't game managers either. If Rothlesberger knew what the hell he was doing out there,......... He could reverse this pattern.

I realize you aren't saying this but I just want to point out that no matter what some / quite a few, want to find fault with Ben Rothlesberger. It's like they want to keep him down as though this will affect his HOF career. ****, this pattern is a similar pattern to MOST QBs to play the game.

Salute the nation

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
If you don't play better at home what's the point of home games?

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score
While all the stats are OK - he generally does seem to play worse away than at home - the lack of a conclusion is a little frustrating.

Lots of stats....So What? Is the offensive play calling very different on the road than it is at home. Is the offensive situation different? Are we behind more often and Ben is taking more risks to try and win it?

Sadly the stats only tell so much. So far all it tells me is that home field advantage is a very real thing.