• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

This is why Tomlin is ****** vs bad teams!

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
And trying to get your Running game going with the best back in football is wrong too. Run one or two times and then say **** it that didn't work.

When the other team is stacking 8 men in the box and you try to run it every down that's just ignant. At some point you have to try and loose it up with some passing.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
When the other team is stacking 8 men in the box and you try to run it every down that's just ignant. At some point you have to try and loose it up with some passing.
We have a veteran QB who has free reign to audible. He may can't run the no huddle when ever he wants but he can AUDIBLE

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We have a veteran QB who has free reign to audible. He may can't run the no huddle when ever he wants but he can AUDIBLE

So you are admitting that our QB is expected to be smarter than our coaches. Pretty much sums it all up.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Also if blocked up correctly you can pop a run into the secondary. The defense is taking a chance also by stacking the line.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
So you are admitting that our QB is expected to be smarter than our coaches. Pretty much sums it all up.
So you are saying when the coordinator calls the play he knows what the defense is going to do?? That only happens in New England.

Last edited:

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
Does that mean he would have been willing to settle for a tie, or a very low scoring loss, without making any adjustments, assuming, of course, that we could have held them scoreless, or to very few points?

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So you are saying when the coordinator calls the play he knows what defense Yorker defense is going to do?? That only happens in New England.

They lined up in the same defense front with 8 men in the box when we went to the 3TE set almost every play. SO yeah, I know what the defense is doing. Why would you change what is working to a T?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
They lined up in the same defense front with 8 men in the box when we went to the 3TE set almost every play. SO yeah, I know what the defense is doing. Why would you change what is working to a T?
And again our veteran QB can't audible?? Or he was hoping just like the coaches was that we would block it up get a big play by popping one on them because it was only 10-0 game into the third quarter

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Ben doesn't have the freedom you think he does, or the freedom he should.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And again our veteran QB can't audible?? Or he was hoping just like the coaches was that we would block it up get a big play by popping one on them because it was only 10-0 game into the third quarter

But if Ben audibles out of it then your entire second half of the sentence is a moot point. Just admit that the coaches knew what front the Ravens were lined up in and continued to call the same run plays into the 8 man box. You will feel much better once you admit it.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Ben doesn't have the freedom you think he does, or the freedom he should.

To audible that's bullshit. Now he may not can't go hurry up or no huddle when he wants but to change a play cmon

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
If Ben audibled every time he felt like it, that would throw the game plan out the window, and as Tomlin himself said, they didn't want to do that. You honestly don't think Ben would love to audible to a pass all the time?

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Did he really say that? I'll take you at your word, but I'd like to see the context of the discussion.

Mike Tomlin admitted as much without saying the words. The coach said they went with a conservative game plan in part to protect Roethlisberger because of his comeback from knee surgery nearly three weeks earlier.

He also said part of the reason they did not open things up on offense earlier than the fourth quarter was they felt they did not have to because Baltimore had not scored much.

“You know, as long as they weren’t moving it and scoring, we weren’t extremely uncomfortable with how the game was unfolding,” Tomlin said during his weekly news conference Tuesday. “If you look at the offense in a vacuum, it could make you uncomfortable with how the game was unfolding. But we were largely stopping them as well.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...an-backfired-on-Steelers/stories/201611090066

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Who said audible all the time?? I don't see nothing wrong with still sticking too the gameplan in that situation because like I said if our line blocks it up it could be a big play. Also Ben can audible too. It doesn't have to be all the time. But to say Ben doesn't have the ability to change plays of he wants I find that hard to believe

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Who said audible all the time?? I don't see nothing wrong with still sticking too the gameplan in that situation because like I said if our line blocks it up it could be a big play. Also Ben can audible too. It doesn't have to be all the time. But to say Ben doesn't have the ability to change plays of he wants I find that hard to believe

So basically you're saying there are never flaws in the game plan, just the execution? Really??? You know sometimes you have players that are getting beaten, that is the coaches job to adjust and give them help. You know when your OT is getting beaten, coaches give him a TE to help, if the run game wasn't working, then switch it up, go 3 wr and run, run some counters, use a TE as a FB, use screens as an extenstion of the running game, there was none of that.

Honestly I find it hard to believe Ben wouldn't have more control, but he wanted to go to quicker up tempo offense earlier than we did, but we didn't so he doesn't have that total control that he should like any other franchise QB does. You really think if Brady or Rodgers or Brees, hell even Rivers wanted to go with a different offense in a game where the offense wasn't doing anything, that they would be shot down? Hell no, Ben has been asking for more n No-Huddle up tempo offense for the past few years and it never happens. You run the offense that makes your best player the most comfortable, especially when that guy in a franchise QB.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
So basically you're saying there are never flaws in the game plan, just the execution? Really??? You know sometimes you have players that are getting beaten, that is the coaches job to adjust and give them help. You know when your OT is getting beaten, coaches give him a TE to help, if the run game wasn't working, then switch it up, go 3 wr and run, run some counters, use a TE as a FB, use screens as an extenstion of the running game, there was none of that.

Honestly I find it hard to believe Ben wouldn't have more control, but he wanted to go to quicker up tempo offense earlier than we did, but we didn't so he doesn't have that total control that he should like any other franchise QB does. You really think if Brady or Rodgers or Brees, hell even Rivers wanted to go with a different offense in a game where the offense wasn't doing anything, that they would be shot down? Hell no, Ben has been asking for more n No-Huddle up tempo offense for the past few years and it never happens. You run the offense that makes your best player the most comfortable, especially when that guy in a franchise QB.

And again maybe if Ben wasn't coming off injury we go more uptempo. More spread. But you are worried enough that you want to keep Bell in at all times to protect him but have objections to game plan put in to minimize him getting hit

And I never said that about game plans. But like I said going into this season we were supposed to have a great line what's wrong with a gameplan featured around them and Bell..and just because it doesn't work instantly means you abandon it. Especially with a QB coming off injury. Especially when that QB when given opportunitty to pass the ball isn't exactly lighting it up either. Especially in a game that isn't out of reach til the blocked punt

Last edited:

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
We never use a quicker up pace on offense on the road vs these **** teams, and as Dejan said, he thinks Tomlin is very stubborn vs bad teams and is to concerned about winning his way and imposing their will on them

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
We never use a quicker up pace on offense on the road vs these **** teams, and as Dejan said, he thinks Tomlin is very stubborn vs bad teams and is to concerned about winning his way and imposing their will on them

I respect Dejan and have no problem with his opinion. That's why I pay for his site

P

POP

and unfortunately this is a common theme with us on the road vs ****** teams, ultra conservative. Why the hell does the fact that the opposing offense is struggling dictate our offensive game plan? why can't we try to go up and down the field and score.

Hoodie would NEVER think like this.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I respect Dejan and have no problem with his opinion. That's why I pay for his site
That's why I posted it, because this exact opinion is picking up steam by the media.