• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thigpen to Sue Helmet Company Riddell

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
Just read this on the Trib. Yancey along with a few other former players are filing a lawsuit against the helmet company....WTF????

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Yancey Thigpen heads a group of players suing helmet-maker Riddell
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 15, 2016, 9:42 AM EDT
12 Oct 1997: Wide receiver Yancey Thigpen #82 of the Pittsburgh Steelers during the Steelers 24-22 win over the Indianapolis Colts at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Mandatory Credit: Robert Laberge /Allsport
Getty Images
A week after Hall of Famer Paul Hornung filed a lawsuit against Riddell, another group of former NFL players including former Steelers wide receiver Yancey Thigpen filed their own suit against the helmet-maker.

According to the Associated Press, the lawsuit filed Thursday in Cook County Circuit Cort in Chicago says the players suffered personal and financial injuries because they were not warned about potential long-term risks.

The players are seeking more than $50,000 in damages and a jury trial.

Other players filing the suit are” Gregory Boone, Larry Brinson, Michael Butler, Craig Curry, James Harrell, Willard Harrell, Robert Harris, Carlton “Bailey” Jones, Brad Quast, Thomas “John” Reaves, John Michael Reichenbach, Adam Schreiber and Eric Wright.

Hornung sued Riddell, claiming the helmets didn’t protect him from brain injuries. He has been diagnosed with dementia, according to his lawsuit

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of former players come out with brain injuries every summer now. I'll admit football is a brutal sport and brain injuries are a given. But don't these guys sign contracts knowing the risks involved for such a rewarding career?

I guess one can argue however that these guys knew the risk when healthy and the brain is just acting loopy in retirement.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
So sad to see these former players so broke because of stupidity that they have to have a frivolous lawsuit in hopes of getting money. Pathetic...

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would assume that is $50,000.00 per player ?? Also what about the shoulder pad makers with the injured shoulders?? How about the knee pad manufacturer ????? NOT defending the equipment makers but these players know the risk. NO ONE wants to take accountability for anything. American society..........Take what I can get.!!!

I feel bad for these ex players but they made a hell of a lot more coin$$$$ than most any of us ever will.

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
Yancey is fancy. at least thats what my dad used to say lol

P

POP

A lot of former players come out with brain injuries every summer now. I'll admit football is a brutal sport and brain injuries are a given. But don't these guys sign contracts knowing the risks involved for such a rewarding career?

I guess one can argue however that these guys knew the risk when healthy and the brain is just acting loopy in retirement.

Only $50k? Why bother? That can't be right.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Yancy must be broke.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yancey Thigpen heads a group of players suing helmet-maker Riddell
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 15, 2016, 9:42 AM EDT
12 Oct 1997: Wide receiver Yancey Thigpen #82 of the Pittsburgh Steelers during the Steelers 24-22 win over the Indianapolis Colts at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Mandatory Credit: Robert Laberge /Allsport
Getty Images
A week after Hall of Famer Paul Hornung filed a lawsuit against Riddell, another group of former NFL players including former Steelers wide receiver Yancey Thigpen filed their own suit against the helmet-maker.

According to the Associated Press, the lawsuit filed Thursday in Cook County Circuit Cort in Chicago says the players suffered personal and financial injuries because they were not warned about potential long-term risks.

The players are seeking more than $50,000 in damages and a jury trial.

Other players filing the suit are” Gregory Boone, Larry Brinson, Michael Butler, Craig Curry, James Harrell, Willard Harrell, Robert Harris, Carlton “Bailey” Jones, Brad Quast, Thomas “John” Reaves, John Michael Reichenbach, Adam Schreiber and Eric Wright.

Hornung sued Riddell, claiming the helmets didn’t protect him from brain injuries. He has been diagnosed with dementia, according to his lawsuit

They should be suing the NFL for not allowing them to choose the type of helmet. This is where I think the problem lies, give they guys choices on helmet, just make the exterior a standard of sorts, and the problem gets better out of the gate.

Joe

swal75

Reaction score
I would assume that is $50,000.00 per player ?? Also what about the shoulder pad makers with the injured shoulders?? How about the knee pad manufacturer ????? NOT defending the equipment makers but these players know the risk. NO ONE wants to take accountability for anything. American society..........Take what I can get.!!!

I feel bad for these ex players but they made a hell of a lot more coin$$$$ than most any of us ever will.

Salute the nation

My guess is that since Yancy's career ran from 91-2000, the minimum amount for the feds to hear "the amount in controversy" then was $50k. Obviously they want way more than 50k, but the first step is to prove that at least 50k damages were done.