• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers to possibly be seeking a corner in free agency

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...lers-explore-top-cb-market-reported-interest/

I did happen to have it on in the background for a brief period of time yesterday, however, and caught a report by Aditi Kinkhabwala, who spends a good deal of time embedded in the Steelers’ camp. I understand that opinions on her may have soured lately in light of her inaccurately saying that Antonio Brown was ‘pouting’ during a touchdown in the playoffs, but be that as it may, I think she does a good job.

She reported yesterday that the Steelers were working on completing a long-term contract with Le’Veon Bell, who was given the franchise tag. In addition to that, she said during her report—though seemingly not elsewhere—that she was told from within the organization that they are looking to be players in the free agency market.

I am working from memory here, but from recollection, she cited the fact that the team only ran a couple of dozens snaps in man coverage with a single-high safety and how that related to their talent available at the position as one of the reasons that they are looking to bring in a higher-end player.

She also said that she was not given names, but believed that players such as Dre Kirkpatrick and Stephon Gilmore could potentially be targets for them as in fitting the mould of what they like out of the position.

Just how much stock to put into this report is certainly debatable, but the good news is that we won’t have to wait very long, as free agency is not so far away, and the ‘legal tampering’ window is even closer upon us. Kinkhabwala also tied Bell’s deal in lowering his cap hit from the franchise tag value into their ability to pursue a top cornerback. Perhaps they saw the impact of Janoris Jenkins on the Giants last year.

One report I hope and pray, is true.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Kirkpatrick was never used properly

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I want an IMPACT player. NOt an injured cast off. If he is a CB so be it but he MUST be able to blitz and hit hard. I'm talking starter type player as the STEELERS don't usually do HUGE FA pick ups. I say spend the money $$$$ for quality and 3-year window.

Salute the nation

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
Gilmore or bust

Citing conversations with "several sources across the league," the Chicago Tribune expects the Bears to pursue CB Stephon Gilmore in addition to QB Mike Glennon when free agency opens on March 9.
NFL Network previously reported Chicago's interest in Glennon. Gilmore is the No. 2 free agent cornerback behind A.J. Bouye, and he would immediately take over as Chicago's top corner across from Tracy Porter. The Bears missed on Janoris Jenkins last year, and Gilmore profiles similarly as an inconsistent cover man with elite tools. The Tribune anticipates Gilmore commanding "close to $13 million per season." The Tribune also expects Glennon to be the Bears' "top target to replace Jay Cutler" on a deal potentially worth $10-12 million annually.
Related: Bears
Source: Chicago Tribune

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I def support this if true

ZACKB

Reaction score
I would only sign Gilmore...the others stink

Spike

Reaction score
Just how much stock to put into this report is certainly debatable

Debatable as in, it's just another rumor?

ark steel

Reaction score
Citing conversations with "several sources across the league," the Chicago Tribune expects the Bears to pursue CB Stephon Gilmore in addition to QB Mike Glennon when free agency opens on March 9.
NFL Network previously reported Chicago's interest in Glennon. Gilmore is the No. 2 free agent cornerback behind A.J. Bouye, and he would immediately take over as Chicago's top corner across from Tracy Porter. The Bears missed on Janoris Jenkins last year, and Gilmore profiles similarly as an inconsistent cover man with elite tools. The Tribune anticipates Gilmore commanding "close to $13 million per season." The Tribune also expects Glennon to be the Bears' "top target to replace Jay Cutler" on a deal potentially worth $10-12 million annually.
Related: Bears
Source: Chicago Tribune

Crazy, to me, that Glennon would command $10-$12m/year. I like him, but not that much.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of a free agents available. Hopefully we can get one at a good price and still go get some younger corners in the draft.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
gilmore would be nice, if had at a reasonable price (in which case, i'm not holding my breath)

heeeeellll no on dre kirkpatrick, that guy has the football smarts of a block of lead.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I don't like the thought of paying any of the "top" guys what it will take to bring them here....

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Crazy, to me, that Glennon would command $10-$12m/year. I like him, but not that much.

Every free agent with any sort of pedigree is going to get absurdly, Brock Osweilerly overpaid in a few days. Anyone complaining that we overpaid AB is going to gain some perspective real soon.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Report: Steelers, Titans interested in impending free agent Kirkpatrick

Jack Browne Mar 4, 2017 8:21 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans are two of the teams set to be in contention to sign impending free-agent cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports.

A former first-round pick, Kirkpatrick has spent the first five years of his career with the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Steelers and Titans both have a glaring hole at cornerback, but if they're unwilling to break the bank for one of the top-tier free agents at the position, Kirkpatrick could be a solid option.

While the 27-year-old hasn't quite lived up to his first-round draft status, he bounced back from a poor 2015 season with a strong 2016 campaign.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app