• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers likely first round picks and surprise players they don’t seem to have any interest in

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Who are the players you think the Steelers are targeting in the first round? And who are guys you think have no shot and not on the radar?

OL- Mims, Latham, Fuaga are all big beeps on the radar. But a dark horse OL first round pick is Graham Barton. He is versatile and can play every position on the line. Probably best at center or right tackle. I feel JPJ is not a target unless we trade back or he falls to round two and we didn’t go OL in round one.

CB- Wiggins, Arnold, and McKinstry are obviously guys the Steelers are interested in. And I don’t think there’s a surprise player they might draft at CB. The surprise is I don’t think they are interested in DeJean or Quinyon Mitchell.

WR- This is more tricky but I do think there’s an outside possibility they go WR. I think either a trade up for an Odunze would not shock me. Other than that I feel they’d trade down and take one of those Texas receivers or Keon Coleman from FSU. The surprise to me is I don’t feel they’re interested in Brian Thomas from LSU who could be on the board at 20. They didn’t send Smith, Colbert, Tomlin or even a offensive coach to the LSU pro day and didn’t invite Thomas for a personal invitation to Pittsburgh. I think they’re more interested in Maason Smith to be honest. I think they don’t likely draft a WR in round one unless a deal for Odunze is made or a guy falls. But round two or three is a very good possibility.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Based on their recent draft history, these would be my top 5options:

Mims - Pro Day and Pre-Draft Visit
-I get the feeling he is the top RT target.
Latham - Pro Day
Fuaga - Pre-Draft Visit

Wiggins - Pro Day and Pro Day and Pre-Draft Visit
-Wiggins may be the best cover corner in the raft.
Arnold - Pro Day
McKinstry - Pro Day

I think there's a chance Barton is the option in the first, it just seems like the Steelers are focused on tackle rather than center.

I posted it in another thread, but the other main pro day visits and pre-draft visitors are really focused in on WR, OT, DL, and CB. Not much focus on centers at all.

1st round - They are focused on either RT or CB. While we really need help on offense, having shutdown pairing at CB would be huge and if Arnold or Wiggins are there, either would be hard to pass on in favor of Mims. However, drafting a RT improves two positions as Jones gets to shift back over to LT.

2nd round - I don't know which receiver they like best, but a falling Texas receiver, Ricky Pearsall, Xavier Legette are all in play. A lot of smoke around Malachi Corley, but the 2nd feels high, IMO. Braden Fiske is in play here as well or if Jackson Powers-Johnson falls...which he very well could.

3rd/4th - I think this is where some of the Michigan defenders come into play: Sainristil, Jenkins, or Colson. Maason Smith seems to be a big favorite.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I think there's a chance Barton is the option in the first, it just seems like the Steelers are focused on tackle rather than center.
Barton only played center his freshman season and has played LT ever since. That’s why I feel he might be on the radar. He can play OC if Herbig can’t or play RT if we don’t draft or don’t have our future RT on the roster. I agree the team probably wants Mims or Latham but both could easily be off the board. And if we do go RT only we likely have to go OC later in the draft. If we go Barton we don’t have to draft another lineman unless the value is there.
I posted it in another thread, but the other main pro day visits and pre-draft visitors are really focused in on WR, OT, DL, and CB. Not much focus on centers at all.

1st round - They are focused on either RT or CB. While we really need help on offense, having shutdown pairing at CB would be huge and if Arnold or Wiggins are there, either would be hard to pass on in favor of Mims. However, drafting a RT improves two positions as Jones gets to shift back over to LT.
I hope we go offense too. Huge holes at OT, OC, and WR. And if we don’t extend Freiermuth we need a TE too. But defense could use a long term upgrade at CB, DL and even safety.

2nd round - I don't know which receiver they like best, but a falling Texas receiver, Ricky Pearsall, Xavier Legette are all in play. A lot of smoke around Malachi Corley, but the 2nd feels high, IMO. Braden Fiske is in play here as well or if Jackson Powers-Johnson falls...which he very well could.
I think Pearsall has the highest floor. Legette is a boom or bust player. An older college player who exploded his final season… reminds me of a QB we just drafted. But such a deep draft I wouldn’t mind holding off on WR until round 3 or even 4 and drafting a couple. Could go Brenden Rice in the third and come back to Luke McCaffrey in the fourth. Especially if we trade down and still snag Barton and pick up an extra 3rd and maybe a late day 3 or two picks.

3rd/4th - I think this is where some of the Michigan defenders come into play: Sainristil, Jenkins, or Colson. Maason Smith seems to be a big favorite.
I am really high on Maason Smith. He played best at the 5 technique or 4i. He has long arms and can set the edge or bull rush with the best. Sainristil could be a phenomenal nickel. I’m also huge on Daequan Hardy as a faster and more explosive Mike Hilton. And he could be an A+ returner too.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

Latham - Pro Day
Fuaga - Pre-Draft Visit

Arnold - Pro Day
McKinstry - Pro Day

Calling Mims as the pick if he is still on the board. Unless they surprise us with a trade up. Thinking round 2 is the more likely trade up scenario. We shall see if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Barton only played center his freshman season and has played LT ever since. That’s why I feel he might be on the radar. He can play OC if Herbig can’t or play RT if we don’t draft or don’t have our future RT on the roster. I agree the team probably wants Mims or Latham but both could easily be off the board. And if we do go RT only we likely have to go OC later in the draft. If we go Barton we don’t have to draft another lineman unless the value is there.

I hope we go offense too. Huge holes at OT, OC, and WR. And if we don’t extend Freiermuth we need a TE too. But defense could use a long term upgrade at CB, DL and even safety.

I think Pearsall has the highest floor. Legette is a boom or bust player. An older college player who exploded his final season… reminds me of a QB we just drafted. But such a deep draft I wouldn’t mind holding off on WR until round 3 or even 4 and drafting a couple. Could go Brenden Rice in the third and come back to Luke McCaffrey in the fourth. Especially if we trade down and still snag Barton and pick up an extra 3rd and maybe a late day 3 or two picks.

I am really high on Maason Smith. He played best at the 5 technique or 4i. He has long arms and can set the edge or bull rush with the best. Sainristil could be a phenomenal nickel. I’m also huge on Daequan Hardy as a faster and more explosive Mike Hilton. And he could be an A+ returner too.
Litos concurs, supe also thinks the same about Barton.

Getting Barton on the 1st gives a lot of flexibility for the rest of the draft

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Who are the players you think the Steelers are targeting in the first round? And who are guys you think have no shot and not on the radar?

OL- Mims, Latham, Fuaga are all big beeps on the radar. But a dark horse OL first round pick is Graham Barton. He is versatile and can play every position on the line. Probably best at center or right tackle. I feel JPJ is not a target unless we trade back or he falls to round two and we didn’t go OL in round one.

CB- Wiggins, Arnold, and McKinstry are obviously guys the Steelers are interested in. And I don’t think there’s a surprise player they might draft at CB. The surprise is I don’t think they are interested in DeJean or Quinyon Mitchell.

WR- This is more tricky but I do think there’s an outside possibility they go WR. I think either a trade up for an Odunze would not shock me. Other than that I feel they’d trade down and take one of those Texas receivers or Keon Coleman from FSU. The surprise to me is I don’t feel they’re interested in Brian Thomas from LSU who could be on the board at 20. They didn’t send Smith, Colbert, Tomlin or even an offensive coach to the LSU pro day and didn’t invite Thomas for a personal invitation to Pittsburgh. I think they’re more interested in Maason Smith to be honest. I think they don’t likely draft a WR in round one unless a deal for Odunze is made or a guy falls. But round two or three is a very good possibility.
If Fuaga slips to 15- 17, Steelers I could easily see a trade up like last year to get him. Water cooler talk (from the combine) indicated there may be a medical flag for JPJ (concussion). But nothing officially has been leaked. If Fuaga and Mims are both gone, look for a trade down by Omar. Of the corners, Arnold and Mitchell would be in play, but both will be long gone by 20. If trade down goes to late 20’s, wouldn’t be surprised if Frazier is picked, and the OT Paul from Houston is grabbed in the second (Coolie would run the card to Goodell, if he’s at the draft). Sleeper WR pick in the 3rd, Tez Walker from UNC (via trade up), and the UM slot corner with the second 3rd. Of course this is all prognostication, so I live in reality.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Latham - Pro Day
Fuaga - Pre-Draft Visit

Arnold - Pro Day
McKinstry - Pro Day

What about the Coleman kid, where does he go and if he was here in the 2nd, take him?

Barton / Coleman / Mims———— 1 / 2 / 3a

I know, not likely but would be a hellA good deal.!!!

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
If Fuaga slips to 15- 17, Steelers I could easily see a trade up like last year to get him. Water cooler talk (from the combine) indicated there may be a medical flag for JPJ (concussion). But nothing officially has been leaked. If Fuaga and Mims are both gone, look for a trade down by Omar. Of the corners, Arnold and Mitchell would be in play, but both will be long gone by 20. If trade down goes to late 20’s, wouldn’t be surprised if Frazier is picked, and the OT Paul from Houston is grabbed in the second (Coolie would run the card to Goodell, if he’s at the draft). Sleeper WR pick in the 3rd, Tez Walker from UNC (via trade up), and the UM slot corner with the second 3rd. Of course this is all prognostication, so I live in reality.
while I would love them to take Paul, the stories out about moving away from players playing out of position leads me to think the Steelers would rather take a kid who has been playing RT instead.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, Barton is the pick if there.
It’s been said we’re not taking T and C in Round 1 and 2. So if we get Barton/Mims/Latham, it’s unlikely we grab a C in Round 2.

I’d take Barton, then BPA in R2, and Goncalves in R3. I feel he’s flying under the radar.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
IMO, Barton is the pick if there.
It’s been said we’re not taking T and C in Round 1 and 2. So if we get Barton/Mims/Latham, it’s unlikely we grab a C in Round 2.

I’d take Barton, then BPA in R2, and Goncalves in R3. I feel he’s flying under the radar.
The way the whole " they arent double dipping at OL thing keeps getting recited by insiders makes me absolutely believe they think that either Spenser Anderson or Dylan Cook is starter material at RT or C

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There are a ton of options they can pick at 1.20, even JPJ. They did visit with him early on - I believe at one of the post-season games. They apparently also like Frazier a lot so C is definitely not out in the 1st. And, yes, JPJ will go in the first. I've seen him mocked anywhere from before our pick to the end of the second but it is very rare to see him make it to the 2nd in any mock and Frazier probably doesn't make it to us in the 2nd. Van Pran may and he is a very good option at C.

I can see them going C, WR, OT in rounds 1 and 2. C and WR are our biggest gaping holes with WR missing a WR2 and no obvious WR3, that has to be a pick in Rd. 1 or 2.

Other than that, CB, and even DL would not shock me in the 1st round although it seems they don't value DL very high since they rarely snag one earlier than the 3rd round.

S also has to be on the radar. ILB probably isn't anymore. And, a late QB may be an option as well.

This draft truly could go in so many directions but they definitely need a starting C and WR the way things sit right now.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I still thinbk that center will be 2nd or 3rd round.

I think the RT will be taken before the C, possibly even 1st round pick.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
If the steelers want versatility they go Barton. If they think perhaps Herbig can play center and/or maybe they feel if we get a true RT like Mims then we can kick Dylan Cook or Spencer Anderson inside. Both are very athletic but undersized OT’s. Heck, they already list Anderson as a guard. But having Jones, Mims and Moore they’d have options to kick someone in to center behind Herbig and learn.