• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So, what does $20 an hour get you?

xjx

Reaction score
Yea, when unskilled labor cost $40,000/ yr it makes sense to buy a robot instead.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
@Tim Steelersfan didnt we point this out many years ago and were told we were being obtuse?

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
20 bucks an hour gets you a 20 dollar happy meal. but don't fool yourself this will in no way affect the prices you pay in a positive way for the consumer. just more profits for the company.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
MKyqzq.gif

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, when unskilled labor cost $40,000/ yr it makes sense to buy a robot instead.

But the guy getting $20/hour, or $800/week for a full-time job and $41,600 is NOT costing the employer $41,600. The employer has to pay workers compensation insurance, SS, Medicare, and unemployment taxes. Those taxes total about 12% to 20% the cost of wages, depending on the state and the dangers associated with the work.

So the employee actually costs $46,000 to as much as $50,000 ... where you know the employee is going to miss time from work.

xjx

Reaction score

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
But the guy getting $20/hour, or $800/week for a full-time job and $41,600 is NOT costing the employer $41,600. The employer has to pay workers compensation insurance, SS, Medicare, and unemployment taxes. Those taxes total about 12% to 20% the cost of wages, depending on the state and the dangers associated with the work.

So the employee actually costs $46,000 to as much as $50,000 ... where you know the employee is going to miss time from work.
Toss in benefits. I’m sure CA mandates that bs being offered to them too. Maybe I’m wrong

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If I had a kid graduating from HS, I would suggest Mechanical Engineering to design the “replacement” employees, or maybe even training in maintenance and repair of “replacement” employees. This is going to be the next Gold Rush opportunity.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
If I had a kid graduating from HS, I would suggest Mechanical Engineering to design the “replacement” employees, or maybe even training in maintenance and repair of “replacement” employees. This is going to be the next Gold Rush opportunity.
Your kids didn't graduate either?

Reactions: xjx

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Your kids didn't graduate either?
Oh mine did, all three. Oldest son is a Civil Engineer, oldest daughter is a Chemical Engineer, youngest daughter is an Electrical Engineer.

My kids were given an ultimatum when they started High School, Mom and Dad ONLY help pay for College if you pursue a STEM Degree. As it turned out, our help was pushing them to do well in HS, which resulted in multiple scholarships. In Montana, you used to get a full ride for Valedictorian and a half ride for Salutatorian at a State College. Our kids got a Full and 2 Half‘s. They also worked all year in some capacity to pay their living expenses and tuition. We were able to save on housing as we had bought a house years before they started in Bozeman, and rented it till they needed it. After the last graduated, we sold it and used the profits to pay off their loans.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh mine did, all three. Oldest son is a Civil Engineer, oldest daughter is a Chemical Engineer, youngest daughter is an Electrical Engineer.

My kids were given an ultimatum when they started High School, Mom and Dad ONLY help pay for College if you pursue a STEM Degree. As it turned out, our help was pushing them to do well in HS, which resulted in multiple scholarships. In Montana, you used to get a full ride for Valedictorian and a half ride for Salutatorian at a State College. Our kids got a Full and 2 Half‘s. They also worked all year in some capacity to pay their living expenses and tuition. We were able to save on housing as we had bought a house years before they started in Bozeman, and rented it till they needed it. After the last graduated, we sold it and used the profits to pay off their loans.
I was pulling your chain.

I would expect nothing more or less from your clan. I only had two of the four who did college. One has a fasion design degree (go figure), and the other is about to finish his JD at George Mason. One is special needs, so not a chance he would go to college, and the other one values drugs more than life, so . . . . We're proud of them all in one way or another.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I was pulling your chain.

I would expect nothing more or less from your clan. I only had two of the four who did college. One has a fasion design degree (go figure), and the other is about to finish his JD at George Mason. One is special needs, so not a chance he would go to college, and the other one values drugs more than life, so . . . . We're proud of them all in one way or another.
We were lucky that ours didn’t have rebellion plans. We pushed them from an early age in hopes it would stick, we got lucky. Now we just worry about their choices in mates.