• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should college Football's playoff system be expanded to 8 teams?

Troglodyte

Reaction score
That's just it, the argument will be it's never enough - next year U will be here arguing for a 24 team playoff!

That's just baseless. The other divisions aren't arguing for expanded playoffs. Many people only want 8 instead of 16 for D1.

steelermania

Reaction score
It has to expand to at least 8. This year, the 2 best teams were left out so it is already flawed.

Bama got left out???? How? When? As for 8 teams, that is the best number. Five champs, and three wild cards.

Spike

Reaction score
There are only 2 good teams

Buckeyes and Bama - don't need any more than that

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
One step at a time, but 16 is the ultimate finish line. That will satisfy all the conference champions, including smaller conferences (AAC/MAC/MW) and still give you 6 at large teams or so. It would provide 15 bowls a game, so pretty much those 15 bowls with the most history.

The biggest issue would be the seeding. That would end up being "fuzzy math committee decision" stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I think 8 is perfect. It is still a small enough pool to preserve the sanctity of the regular season. But having 8 allows you to grant an automatic bid to all the conference champions to take the politics and grumbling about conferences out of the equation, then 3 at-large to appease the OSU's, the Notre Dame's, the non-P5, etc. It just makes sense. Which is why it's not happening now, of course

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
When you have a team that couldn't win their conference, or even play in their conference championship game, playing for a national title, the playoff system is a sham. Especially if that conference's champion is not playing in the playoff.

It will expand, because what they have now, still doesn't work.

My thoughts exactly.

str8liner

Reaction score
8 team playoff will take all conf. champs, and the other good 1 and 2 loss teams most of the time so I am for it.