• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pre-season status: the good, the bad, the ugly

P

POP

The good - Basically we can assume that everyone we don't see playing is good. Ben, AB, Bell, D-Will...we can assume those players are all going to do well, if not phenomenal. But there is more good.

Our DE starters are the best 3-4 ends paired together, as we have ever seen in Pgh. Both Heyward and Tuitt are physical beasts with high revving engines. And between our two NTs, we will be in decent shape.

The OL hasn't looked stellar but all indications are that it will be a solid unit. Big Al will come around. With Munch running that unit, it will be good.

I believe other than JJ, the LB unit will be solid. Dupree, Timmons, Shazier and Harrison will all be good, and we have depth with Williams and Moats.

The bad - Our secondary has not been upgraded. And if we lose anyone else, it could be a train wreck. Golson out for nearly the year, I have yet to see Burns do anything and Davis has not looked ready to play.

With Green, being our flagship free agent not even practicing yet, TE is a concern. James might be OK, but then what? And who knows if Green does anything for us this season.

The ugly - If Ben goes down, like he almost always does, this is a sub .500 team. Our back QBs are just awful. I have been watching tons of preseason football and I have yet to see any backups as bad as ours. it is UGLY.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Thing is preseason doesn't necessarily translate to regular season.

Sure there is that slot CB,starting TE concern. But everywhere else there is experience.

I could very well see this years version better in the second half.

Thing is you want the first half to win enough so that you have a fighting chance in the second half of the season at something special.

But ultimately yeah it is injuries. And not just injuries but who is injured down the stretch.

Hope for the best. And one game at a time..........

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
The good. Pouncey played some snaps and didn't get injured. The bad - we look like Cleveland so far. I know, I know. Our starters are so good that they can just come in and kick ***. Lets see next week.

scstillerfan

Reaction score
Every time I think Landry has finally turned the corner...ugh.

Backup OL look like dog ****. Vaughn has had little time to prove anything.

We have plenty of good offensive skill players. Lots of tough decisions at WR.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Laundry does need a LOT of improvement to justify the amount of time spent, on this roster. WTF is the FO just sitting on their thumbs and if so, are they wiggling them???? I know it's hard to improve every position every year, but back up QB has sucked for many a many year.

Salute the nation

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Every time I think Landry has finally turned the corner...ugh.

Backup OL look like dog ****. Vaughn has had little time to prove anything.

We have plenty of good offensive skill players. Lots of tough decisions at WR.

I believe he has a broken thumb or something.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
should of taken cardaile jones or if not nate sudfield to challenge laundry

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
the good Mcullers Pouncey looking like he has no rust, Rogers Fitzgerald T...
in the middle Feeney Davis, Feeney has been playing with average DL and vanilla blitzes would really like perhaps in the 4th pre season game to see line up in various lb and perhaps even de spots.
the ugly not having green Burns, the back ups, laundry Coates, Finney

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
the good Mcullers Pouncey looking like he has no rust, Rogers Fitzgerald T...
in the middle Feeney Davis, Feeney has been playing with average DL and vanilla blitzes would really like perhaps in the 4th pre season game to see line up in various lb and perhaps even de spots.
the ugly not having green Burns, the back ups, laundry Coates, Finney

the laundry is ugly?

did yinz use tide?

352315-181114-smiley.jpg

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The Good: I think first team defense has looked good enough and it is more of the starters then the offense. I agree defensive backfield is thin, but have been impressed with Grant's progress. Burns is unknown at this point, but I'm sure he will take some type of role as the season goes on. On offense it is hard to say. For the most part, Jones has had time to throw and some decent run lanes have been created. Eli Rogers has stood out of a wr.corps with two starters out. I think he will be a keeper. While Coates has certainly been disappointing, sometimes the level of play rises when Ben is in there too. Looks like third string RB is taken care of pretty well. The punter has been booming them and has laid down a couple of good ones inside the 10.
The Bad: Nagging injuries. Wheaton, Burns, Jarvis Jones all need to be playing. The team seems thin at a lot of positions. Most obviously corner. I'm concerned that first real action being a full game will lead to injuries.
The Ugly: Landry Jones for the most part looks like an at max 2 week fill in stop gap. No progress whatsoever. The whole fiasco with Lardass Green (I don't even have words for that). I understand injuries but c'mon and then all this stuff around concussions and sinus infections. That is a total embarrassment for the organization.

P

POP

should of taken cardaile jones or if not nate sudfield to challenge laundry

I think the kid (Cardale) has a huge potential high side. Landry Jones has virtually none. He is what he is and what he will always be: weak, low energy, sans passion, inaccurate.

P

POP

The Good: I think first team defense has looked good enough and it is more of the starters then the offense. I agree defensive backfield is thin, but have been impressed with Grant's progress. Burns is unknown at this point, but I'm sure he will take some type of role as the season goes on. On offense it is hard to say. For the most part, Jones has had time to throw and some decent run lanes have been created. Eli Rogers has stood out of a wr.corps with two starters out. I think he will be a keeper. While Coates has certainly been disappointing, sometimes the level of play rises when Ben is in there too. Looks like third string RB is taken care of pretty well. The punter has been booming them and has laid down a couple of good ones inside the 10.
The Bad: Nagging injuries. Wheaton, Burns, Jarvis Jones all need to be playing. The team seems thin at a lot of positions. Most obviously corner. I'm concerned that first real action being a full game will lead to injuries.
The Ugly: Landry Jones for the most part looks like an at max 2 week fill in stop gap. No progress whatsoever. The whole fiasco with Lardass Green (I don't even have words for that). I understand injuries but c'mon and then all this stuff around concussions and sinus infections. That is a total embarrassment for the organization.

Agree to all. Has the media asked Tomlin how the Green fiasco happened? I am sure his answer will be specific and honest and not just a bunch of bull ****.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Agree to all. Has the media asked Tomlin how the Green fiasco happened? I am sure his answer will be specific and honest and not just a bunch of bull ****.

I'm pretty sure Tomlin will say: "We went out and got a guy that we knew couldn't help us this season. We didn't care about his headaches, as those tend to go away. Hopefully he is on the mend and can help us next year."

WTF POP, obviously the team did their research on the guy. He was injured, and regressed. This isn't a conspiracy, and the hindsight reactions are making the steelernation bumblefucks around here point fingers when there is no one to point at.

I know it ******* sucks when a player regresses, or gets reinjured, or needs another surgery. It was painful having to deal with Pouncey last year, and I know it was the hardest on him. If you want to bash the steelers for rehabs, then you have to be completely confused that Bell is coming back from 2 knee ligament tears. That's one of the hardest things to come back from, and he's on the road to be ready. No kudos to the training staff for Bell? Or that Pouncey is now ready as well?

You can't have it one way and fail to see the other.