• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pouncey had 7 count them 7 surgeries last year

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Seeme to be a mitigation narrative. It would be great to see the team and players openly support his situation, right now. Otherwise, it seems that he is almost apologizing and setting the rationale for disappointment, like DIC indicated.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well him moving around like his old self could be looked at as a pre cursor of him playing like his old self. I know he has to get out there and do it but I would think that if he can at least move around like his of self then there is no shot of him playing like his old self.

Didn't Stink (OLmen from Skins and Denver) has some insane amount of surgeries in his career, and he still had a long one?

DIDN'T say he stunk........... Re-read my post........ I'm saying he needs to show us his pro bowl PLAY. I root for every STEELERS player on this team, not that confusing of a concept...... UNLESS you have a second more favorite team, then you have to Remeber to root both ways. POUNCY is a very good player but after any serious injury, we the fans want to see his play to verify his ability. (Completely healed). ALSO those linemen from other teams I'm sure we're watched upon their return to see if they were up to par with their before injury play. KAPISH???????

Found it. He had 29.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs03/news/story?id=1718301

Salute the nation

diver

Reaction score
That's how I got to 10,000 posts on the old board. Spent 5 months in a reclining chair in my living room with nothing but my TV, Touchpad, drugs, and a home care nurse every other day. Got well enough to make my planned trip to Italy just in time although I did it with only one functioning arm. Afterward I said that I could see how this would force Greg Lloyd out of football.

Sponge baths there, Ron?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Maurkice Pouncey Still The League’s Best Center

StockPouncey2

BY DAN VASKO JUNE 18, 2016 AT 01:00 PM
Injury-prone. The best center in the National Football League. Those two associations often don’t go together, but in the case of Maurkice Pouncey, these have both praised and plagued him throughout the past several years.

I don’t buy into the “injury-prone” title , because a couple of these injuries, including his ACL/MCL tear, were simply unlucky. However, some are questioning his ability to bounce back after yet another injury. And though the season has yet to begin, I feel confident saying he will be back to his old ways of dominating in both pass protection and the run-game.

Of course we know his history with injuries by now, so I don’t intend to dwell on that, but I’ll offer a quick synopsis.

He was drafted in 2010, and sustained a variety of injuries throughout the latter part of the season. It was more of the same in 2011 and he missed just a little time in 2012. 2013 is when he was lost the second half of the season due to a torn ACL and MCL after teammate David DeCastro’s attempted cut block went awry. And then came last season, when he suffered a broken fibula which required two surgeries.

A number of these injuries can easily be deemed as “fluke” ones, so I would caution others not to put so much weight on his recent injuries. We’ve seen how Adrian Peterson battled back from a devastating knee injury only to approach nearly 2,000 yards the following season. And let’s not forget Pouncey’s production in 2014, which earned him the 83rd best player of the season as voted on by his peers (the only center on the list). This was only 2 season’s ago.

The guy has been through a lot. And his teammates say he’s worked extremely hard to continually overcome these adversities. I have little reason to believe he won’t remain a top center in the league.

And I’ll go even a bit further to say he’s the best center in the NFL.

His combination of size, athleticism and versatility make him a valuable asset that could fit into every scheme. But most importantly, he fits extremely well into the Steelers’ offense. We all know that if you want to be a great center in this league, you have to be able to handle some of the biggest, strongest players on this planet: noseguards. Pouncey, at 6’4” and just over 300 lbs, can do just that.

But what separates him is his equal ability to pull, trap, and get to the second level. It’s hard to find centers who can do all of these. It’s even harder to find centers who can do this consistently and at an elite level.

Pouncey’s speed and athleticism allows him to pull and work as a lead-blocker, getting to the outside quickly, while possessing the strength and size to effectively take pursuing linemen and linebackers out of the play. His trapping ability shouldn’t go unnoticed either. When defensive linemen are lined up directly on the guards, Pouncey is able to pull and trap the defender on either side, which pairs well with Le’Veon Bell’s patient running attack. And we all know the Steelers are known to throw in some zone-run schemes in there as well. For this to work, it’s imperative for centers and other lineman to quickly get the second level and take out the linebackers. Pouncey does this as well as any lineman in the league.

He’s a veteran now, but remember that he gains two extra seasons of not banging heads with linebackers and noseguards, so there’s a silver lining to his injury riddled years. He’s been called a “once in a generation” player, and the Steelers are more than happy to have that kind of impactful presence back on the field.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
I really hope nothing like what happened to Lecharles Bentley bothers pouncey and he is back to his last year 2014 form.

Wingman

Reaction score
One reason not to announce it is to keep other teams guessing at the plans the steelers have for their roster or games. The team may have even been considering an offensive lineman as a replacement during the draft if the right guy fell to them. They could also have been looking to do nothing of the sort depending on how he was progressing with his rehabilitation. I suspect the leg issues will be much less for him than they would a running back or wide out. Strength is I believe easier to get back than speed or agility. If pouncy looses some agility and speed he still maybe a good center and worth keeping around. He might also recover to be his old self as well, time will tell.

Stewey

Reaction score
Maurkice Pouncey Still The League’s Best Center

StockPouncey2

BY DAN VASKO JUNE 18, 2016 AT 01:00 PM
Injury-prone. The best center in the National Football League. Those two associations often don’t go together, but in the case of Maurkice Pouncey, these have both praised and plagued him throughout the past several years.

I don’t buy into the “injury-prone” title , because a couple of these injuries, including his ACL/MCL tear, were simply unlucky. However, some are questioning his ability to bounce back after yet another injury. And though the season has yet to begin, I feel confident saying he will be back to his old ways of dominating in both pass protection and the run-game.

Of course we know his history with injuries by now, so I don’t intend to dwell on that, but I’ll offer a quick synopsis.

He was drafted in 2010, and sustained a variety of injuries throughout the latter part of the season. It was more of the same in 2011 and he missed just a little time in 2012. 2013 is when he was lost the second half of the season due to a torn ACL and MCL after teammate David DeCastro’s attempted cut block went awry. And then came last season, when he suffered a broken fibula which required two surgeries.

A number of these injuries can easily be deemed as “fluke” ones, so I would caution others not to put so much weight on his recent injuries. We’ve seen how Adrian Peterson battled back from a devastating knee injury only to approach nearly 2,000 yards the following season. And let’s not forget Pouncey’s production in 2014, which earned him the 83rd best player of the season as voted on by his peers (the only center on the list). This was only 2 season’s ago.

The guy has been through a lot. And his teammates say he’s worked extremely hard to continually overcome these adversities. I have little reason to believe he won’t remain a top center in the league.

And I’ll go even a bit further to say he’s the best center in the NFL.

His combination of size, athleticism and versatility make him a valuable asset that could fit into every scheme. But most importantly, he fits extremely well into the Steelers’ offense. We all know that if you want to be a great center in this league, you have to be able to handle some of the biggest, strongest players on this planet: noseguards. Pouncey, at 6’4” and just over 300 lbs, can do just that.

But what separates him is his equal ability to pull, trap, and get to the second level. It’s hard to find centers who can do all of these. It’s even harder to find centers who can do this consistently and at an elite level.

Pouncey’s speed and athleticism allows him to pull and work as a lead-blocker, getting to the outside quickly, while possessing the strength and size to effectively take pursuing linemen and linebackers out of the play. His trapping ability shouldn’t go unnoticed either. When defensive linemen are lined up directly on the guards, Pouncey is able to pull and trap the defender on either side, which pairs well with Le’Veon Bell’s patient running attack. And we all know the Steelers are known to throw in some zone-run schemes in there as well. For this to work, it’s imperative for centers and other lineman to quickly get the second level and take out the linebackers. Pouncey does this as well as any lineman in the league.

He’s a veteran now, but remember that he gains two extra seasons of not banging heads with linebackers and noseguards, so there’s a silver lining to his injury riddled years. He’s been called a “once in a generation” player, and the Steelers are more than happy to have that kind of impactful presence back on the field.

Pouncey is gearing up to help lead the Steelers to their 7th, count them, 7 Super Bowl victories.

C

Clete

Pouncey is great pulling and blocking on the move but he is mediocre at the point against big NTs, ,gives uo way too much pressure up the middle. Funny, in the two years he missed a great amount of time, a career journeyman replaced him and the offense got better.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
For our best offensive year ever. Pouncey started every game. This is not a mistake.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
As far as Steelers are concerned, Maurkice Pouncey is still the best
By Chris Bradford cbradford@timesonline.com 14 hrs ago 0
Steelers Football
Keith Srakocic/The Associated Press file
Pittsburgh Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey (53) takes part in drills during mini camp practice on Thursday in Pittsburgh.
LATROBE – Mike Munchak can only chuckle when he hears that Maurkice Pouncey isn’t the best center in the NFL.

That kind of talk has been heresy in Pittsburgh ever since the Steelers made Pouncey the 18th overall pick in the 2010 draft. Who can argue against two first-team All-Pro selections and four Pro Bowls in a six-year career?

Well, apparently there’s some in the analytics crowd that think a little less highly of Pouncey, who routinely falls out of the top 10 in some position rankings.

“When we look at things like that, we all laugh,” said Mike Munchak, the Steelers offensive line coach and a Hall of Fame guard as a player. “These people don’t know what’s going on, what’s been asked of him or what he’s doing.

“You see the results. You can’t argue with the results. Watch him on tape. Watch how many times guys touch the back or make a play and it’s not very often.”

Munchak, doesn’t agree, but he understands why some haven’t awarded Pouncey his due respect.

Injuries have hampered Pouncey in two of the last three seasons, including 2015 when he went on season-ending IR with an ankle injury suffered in a meaningless preseason game. The Steelers were hoping to get Pouncey back last November but an infection had set in, turning the 6-foot-4, 304 pounder’s ankle a nauseating color of black and purple, two colors that don’t sit well with the Steelers.

“It went all downhill from there,” Pouncey said.

Those were some dark days for the 27-year-old. He says he never contemplated that his career could have been over, one year after signing a five-year, $44 million contract extension, but he admits he felt out of the loop, if not for a weekly Thursday night dinner at his house with teammates watching football.

Now, after an almost unconscionable seven surgeries, three major procedures and four clean-ups later, Pouncey is coming back off the mat and has declared himself 100 percent ready to go. Pouncey went through spring practice without difficulty and has played without limitation in training camp. Upon arriving in Latrobe last week, Pouncey put on a display in the team’s conditioning run, sprinting way ahead of his fellow lineman.

“I feel like me again, trust me,” Pouncey said Monday. “I wouldn’t be out there if I didn’t.”

The bigger problem for the Steelers might be getting Pouncey off the field.

“He’s hard to get to rest,” Munchak said. “His mindset is, if I have my stuff on , I want to work. Which is a great attitude. That is why he is who he is.”

The Steelers would like to take it slow with Pouncey in camp and certainly in the preseason, but there’s been little sign of that yet and almost no chance that he would accept it as the unquestioned leader of the offensive line.

“If you see our individual (drills), he sets the bar high,” said left guard Ramon Foster. “That’s not him trying to show off, that’s just the way he’s wired. He’d tell you ‘I’m a crazy guy,’ but everything he does is full tilt. He embodies talent with hard work.”

Without Pouncey last season, the Steelers still managed to put up 395.4 yards per game, the NFL’s third-highest total, while Ben Roethlisberger had the lowest sack percentage (4.2) of his career.

Had Pouncey been healthy — let alone Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell and DeAngelo Williams — maybe the Steelers beat Denver and are playing for a spot in the Super Bowl last year. With Pouncey and the aforementioned back this season, there’s no reason to believe they can’t vie for the Lombardi Trophy this year.

No offense to Cody Wallace, who did yeoman’s work filling in again for Pouncey, but he’s not Pouncey. And the Steelers would argue that no one else is.

A healthy Pouncey should allow the Steelers offense to be fully operational. His athleticism and quickness for a big man is remarkable. He excels in all areas, pass protection, pulling and second-level blocking on running plays. Most of all, he’ll make life easier on Roethlisberger.

“The comfort he gives Ben, that’s priceless to me,” Munchak said. “When Ben is not worrying about managing the line of scrimmage, making the decision, which way we’re sliding, what we’re doing protection-wise, he understands his mannerisms. So they’re on the same wavelength that Ben is with AB. A center and quarterback? That’s a huge thing. As much as Cody did a great job, certain guys have a knack for doing things certain ways. He’s one of those guy that’s kind of special. You can’t appreciate him until you coach him.”

And, teammates say, it’s not just what Pouncey provides on game day but on the practice field and in the locker room, where the gregarious center is usually the center of attention. He may play with a snarl, but is usually sporting a smile off it.

Pouncey had been on Munchak’s radar dating back to his time at the University of Florida. Obviously, he was well aware of Pouncey’s on-field exploits but didn’t have a better appreciation for the man until he began coaching him.

“He screams, there’s a lot of things he does that’s fun to watch,” Munchak said. “He’s always getting better. He’s not set in his ways. I came here and he’d been through a couple (position) coaches. He’s still willing to learn and try different things and not get locked into doing certain things.

“He’s fun. He’s light. His personality is fun. He’s always laughing. He keeps other guys light when things are stressful. It’s all the intangibles.”

For the Steelers, that all adds up to the best center in the game.

“When he play, there’s no one better,” Munchak said. “Hopefully, he’ll be sticking together for the next five years.”

xjx

Reaction score
7 surgeries is a lot to heal up, even for a young man. Frankly, I doubt he will be performing at his old established level. Let him play out his contract and cut him.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Pouncey is great pulling and blocking on the move but he is mediocre at the point against big NTs, ,gives uo way too much pressure up the middle. Funny, in the two years he missed a great amount of time, a career journeyman replaced him and the offense got better.

Funny our offense was "better" without Bell too, but we still all want him on the field.