• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pin Steelers' road loss to Ravens on Tomlin

Spike

Reaction score
BALTIMORE — Three plays — maybe three words — defined the Steelers on Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium, where the Baltimore Ravens ended a four-game losing streak against the team that once ran the AFC North.

First, Mike Wallace stiff-armed Mike Mitchell on a 95-yard touchdown pass to give the Ravens a 7-0 lead.

Second, Ben Roethlisberger's pass was deflected by nose tackle Brandon Williams and intercepted by defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan, setting up Justin Tucker's 42-yard field goal for a 13-0 third-quarter lead.

Third, Javorius Allen blocked Jordan Berry's punt, which Chris Moore recovered and returned for a touchdown to give the Ravens a 21-0 lead early in the fourth quarter.

The Ravens beat the Steelers, 21-14, but the final score gave little indication of how Myron Cope would have described this one:

What a debacle.

Blame the players individually, if you want. But when the division leader suffers breakdowns in all three phases — offense, defense and special teams — against an arch-rival after a bye week, it's time to blame the coaches.

This loss is on Tomlin.

It wasn't until the Steelers opened up their offense by switching to no-huddle in the fourth quarter that they finally crossed midfield.

Tomlin said the Steelers didn't want to be one-dimensional, but their running game did that on its own by gaining only 36 yards. If the plan was to protect Roethlisberger at all costs, then the Steelers shouldn't have started him — or should have gone no-huddle earlier.

What's even more troubling is the Steelers committed 13 penalties for 99 yards. At halftime, they had more penalty yards (84) than offensive yards (67). The penalties proved costly, as the Steelers drew one flag for having too many men on the field on a 54-yard field-goal attempt by Tucker, then jumped offside on his ensuing 49-yarder.

This was as undisciplined as we've seen the Steelers.

That's on the coaches, too.

(more)

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11421279-74/steelers-ravens-tomlin

-----------------

Good job Trib

xjx

Reaction score
Indeed the common thread in all of the teams troubles is Tomlin.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
There are games where you are just better than the other team and SHOULD win. How many times have we seen this story replay itself over and over....Steelers favored over a team, sometimes a very weak opponent and still lose. World beaters one week and one first down thru 40 minutes of play the next.

Just a little side thought...I love Bell but man, sometimes you have to hit the hole.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Browns game in two weeks. They get their first win. Talk about embarrassing!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
This was as undisciplined as we've seen the Steelers.

. But when the division leader suffers breakdowns in all three phases — offense, defense and special teams — against an arch-rival after a bye week, it's time to blame the coaches.

He repeated what was being said here a lot yesterday, the only difference is he kept it to this loss.

icb63

Reaction score
As long as coach "cool shades" is allowed to continue loitering along the sidelines on Sunday, I'm afraid the undisciplined and inconsistent play will persist.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
As we have seen with Cowher, sometimes, a change is needed. Not right now or even at the end of the season, but new focus and ideas may be in store. I don't think we will see a change, even if it's possible until Ben hangs up his cleats, to be honest. This frustrating brand of football doesn't wins championships. Playing down to our level of competition and losing? I hate the Patriots with a passion, but they do not NOT show up against weak teams. The manhandle them, as they should. The Steelers should be able to, as well. There's too much talent to play as undisciplined and uninspired, especially against our heated rivals on the road.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
As we have seen with Cowher, sometimes, a change is needed. Not right now or even at the end of the season, but new focus and ideas may be in store. I don't think we will see a change, even if it's possible until Ben hangs up his cleats, to be honest. This frustrating brand of football doesn't wins championships. Playing down to our level of competition and losin? I hate the Patriots with a passion, but they do not NOT show up against weak teams. The manhandle them, as they should. The Steelers should be able to, as well. There's too much talent to play as undisciplined and uninspired, especially against our heated rivals on the road.
if this is true kiss another Big Ben SB appearance goodbye

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
if this is true kiss another Big Ben SB appearance goodbye

unless they get their **** together, but the holes are great and I don't see this team competing with the Raiders, Broncos and Pats this year. Maybe they get hot at the right time. Right now, I'm not convinced they can. The drafts are hit and miss, and their free agent signings can't even see the field.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
unless they get their **** together, but the holes are great and I don't see this team competing with the Raiders, Broncos and Pats this year. Maybe they get hot at the right time. Right now, I'm not convinced they can. The drafts are hit and miss, and their free agent signings can't even see the field.

Everyone knows we struggle against the Pats, but I think we could beat the Broncos and the Raiders. Broncos offense is weak and their D is banged up. Also they are in a tough division where they could possibly even miss out on the playoffs. To play them in Denver will still be a tough task to say the least though. The Raiders are solid all around, but I fell if our offense works we could keep up with them. I do not think we will make the playoffs as a wild card. Our only shot is at the division which is still up for grabs. Beating Dallas next week will be tough and the Ravens have the Brows. So just like that we could basically be 2 games down.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

when you pick garbage often you will see garbage

they need to stop bottom feeding and bring in a competent pass rusher

ozziejay

Reaction score
Not a fan of Tomlin at all but what happen Sunday in Baltimore is exactly what the NFL wanted to happen.
I am a firm believe the NFL choreographs certain games to keep fan interest high, butts in the seats and owners making money.
If you watched that game and didn't come away with my conclusion or something close to it, you are only kidding yourself.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Not a fan of Tomlin at all but what happen Sunday in Baltimore is exactly what the NFL wanted to happen.
I am a firm believe the NFL choreographs certain games to keep fan interest high, butts in the seats and owners making money.
If you watched that game and didn't come away with my conclusion or something close to it, you are only kidding yourself.

conspiracy theory

lulz

k