• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens trade Brandon Sutter to Canucks

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Brandon Sutter was ok. Nothing great, nothing horrible. Just ok. Bonino is an upgrade by himself. He is grittier with a better scoring touch. They are a wash defensively and on the PK. Sutter wasn't coming back after next season. He would have commanded more than he was worth and the Pens couldn't afford him. The fact that they got Bonino and Fehr for $600K more than Sutter cost alone is a win. Bonino is signed through 2017. I don't praise Rutherford much, but these moves are a win in my book. Oh, and they also picked up once-highly regarded former Chicago Blackhawks D Clendenning as a throw in is nice too.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Niskanen was once a thrown in, so maybe they'll find a gem twice.

Pretty much everyone loves these moves for the Penguins and Vancouver fans seemed to hate the trade. We picked up a D prospect, a 2nd and two forwards who will really help our depth. If Kunitz and Dupuis can return and play a lesser role, all of a sudden the Pens look like a much deeper team. This is the first time in a few years that I've actually been excited entering the season.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the D prospect had the second most goals for a Dmen in the AHL

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Nice cap cut.... Fehr as an extra signing and the years/costs overall make this a wash at worst. Liked Sutts but caps is caps...

Spike

Reaction score
Fehr and Bonino combine for a $3.9 million cap hit and will fill the center spots on the Penguins’ third and fourth lines.

Fehr signs for 3 seasons at $2 million per. The only monkey wrench in that deal is that the 29-year old forward underwent elbow surgery last month and is expected to miss 4-6 months

we won't see this guy till next year?

still good moves, Sutter was on my cut list

Last edited:

Spike

Reaction score
I dreamed of a Sutter trade

Now for Scuderi and my mission will be complete

meanwhile

Beau Bennett signs one-year, $800K contract

Beau Bennett has agreed to a one-year, $800,000 contract with the Penguins.

Bennett has the potential to develop into a top-six forward, but he hasn't progressed as projected. That can partially be blamed on injuries, although Penguins GM Jim Rutherford also regrets not sending him down to the minors to hone his skills further before he became waiver eligible. Bennett had four goals and 12 points in 49 games with Pittsburgh in 2014-15.