• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens preseason thread

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Starts Monday the 21st....

Kessel will not play till Tuesday though... they will probably play sid and malkin on separate days as well, So I would assume malkin tomorrow and sid/kessel Tuesday at home

steelermania

Reaction score
Hey mad, when the season begins, please make a new thread for us. After the disaster that was last year, I don't want to see that "Penguins *******" thread continued.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Bennet wins the 1st preseason game in the shootout... it was 0-0 going into the shootout... hardly any NHLrs on this pens roster... Bennett, Peron, lovejoy and a few others

Spike

Reaction score
just a tidbit

I was rewarded in that DirecTV class action lawsuit....I got a free month of Center Ice when the season starts........woo-hoo!

Go Penguins!

Reactions: MTC

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
From the sound of things. It seems like the Penguins are gonna be scary good this season. Heard the pens put on a show in Console. Get to see some backups play later against Detroit. Should be interesting

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Neh, Bennett really built himself up in the offseason... Perron is totally misused... I will never figure out why the pens often want wingers to play the opposite side of where they have played their whole careers then wonder why they struggle..

On another note, unless the preseason play is totally misleading... gonchar and Scuderi are completely done and should be waiver wire fodder asap

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Neh, Bennett really built himself up in the offseason... Perron is totally misused... I will never figure out why the pens often want wingers to play the opposite side of where they have played their whole careers then wonder why they struggle..

On another note, unless the preseason play is totally misleading... gonchar and Scuderi are completely done and should be waiver wire fodder asap

Gonchar and Scuderi are waaay expired. I don't understand bringing them in for a leadership role. Players like Sid, Letang, Dupers and Fleury should be stepping up as leaders. It's still early and the seadon hasnt started it. But from watching the Detroit and Columbus games. The team needs to step up on the blue line.

On a side not Paul Martin would have been a better upgrade over Scuderi or Gonchar

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
just a tidbit

I was rewarded in that DirecTV class action lawsuit....I got a free month of Center Ice when the season starts........woo-hoo!

Go Penguins!

You cant beat free....

As always for me and the NHL...I will start following closely in March...

Until then...all I want to hear is NO MAJOR INJURIES!

Spike

Reaction score
Kessel and Sid looked good playing together

this 3 on 3 **** will end OT games in a hurry

BASICS: It's 3-on-3 play for five sudden-death minutes.

PENALTIES & POWER PLAYS: If a penalty is taken in overtime, the teams play 4-on-3. (Essentially, the team on the power play just adds another player.) If a second penalty is taken, the teams will play 5-on-3. If a penalty carries over from regulation, the teams will play at 4-on-3.

"At no time will a team have fewer than three skaters on the ice during the overtime period."

IF TIED AFTER OVERTIME: If a goal isn't scored, the game moves to a three-round shootout. Apply the same shootout rules as in previous years.

BE CAREFUL PULLING YOUR GOALIE: If you pull your goalie for an extra attacker in overtime, and the other team scores into your empty net, you'll forfeit the one point you gained by forcing overtime.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Kessel and Sid looked good playing together

this 3 on 3 **** will end OT games in a hurry

BASICS: It's 3-on-3 play for five sudden-death minutes.

PENALTIES & POWER PLAYS: If a penalty is taken in overtime, the teams play 4-on-3. (Essentially, the team on the power play just adds another player.) If a second penalty is taken, the teams will play 5-on-3. If a penalty carries over from regulation, the teams will play at 4-on-3.

"At no time will a team have fewer than three skaters on the ice during the overtime period."

IF TIED AFTER OVERTIME: If a goal isn't scored, the game moves to a three-round shootout. Apply the same shootout rules as in previous years.

BE CAREFUL PULLING YOUR GOALIE: If you pull your goalie for an extra attacker in overtime, and the other team scores into your empty net, you'll forfeit the one point you gained by forcing overtime.

Holy **** all these damn rules make it seem like damn cricket or Aussie football or the NFL extra-point or two bullshit. Pass.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Holy **** all these damn rules make it seem like damn cricket or Aussie football or the NFL extra-point or two bullshit. Pass.

Idk. The whole 3 on 3 OT is kinda intriguing. A lot more open ice for guys like Sid, Geno and Kessel. Gotta love Crosby in open space. That OT goal against Columbus was damn pretty

Spike

Reaction score
Damn American rules are ruining the game for the purists of Canada

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats to Johns Town! Enjoyed watching the game today. Having the Hanson bros from Slapshot in attendance was neat. Great atmosphere for the community.

Can't wait to see the Pens final roster put together. Today's lines looked good overall. Plotkinov looks to be promising

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
Sure liked what I saw of Matt Murray between the pipes. Just a kid and looking like he could be our next net minder once Flower's contract is up.

NBC did a nice job with Johnstown.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
If the Pens aren't infatuated with the older vets, they have some intriguing options at defense, even if Pouliot needs more work in the minors.... Cole looks like he finally is living up to his draft potential, Clandening as well, and Doumulin is finally ready too...Couple Maattta and Letang and if the pens can figure out who is the best fit for the last spot they should be solid, maybe even have a little depth if a guy or two can clear waivers and pouliot figures things out

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the depth is good this season. Should be a playoff season as long as the boys stay healthy

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Gave up 7 goals on 22 shots tonight. Wow. Aside from Letang, it appears they trotted out the weakest blue line they possibly could, minus Scuderi. Hope they get the D figured out here before long.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So here are my takes to date:

The first two lines need to be Kessel Crosby Perron and Plotnikov, Malkin, Hornqvist. This should not be a debate.

Beau Bennet, given a real shot to be a scoring winger, is scoring.

The team ****** up royally giving away Despres, who is playing on anahiem's top pairing and whom we couldn't get back for two first rounders now, but if Cole plays as well as he did since the trade, and Clandening plays like he has this preseason, we will be ok on D

That is assuming that we cut gonchar right now, staple lovejoy to the bottom pairing with never more than 8 minutes a game, and trade scuderi for anything to get him off the club.

Kunitz was among the pens best wingers for the better [part of the last decade... he is sadly done right now. It would be best to move him before his status gets him overplayed or his legs go any more.

Dupuis is a scary play, but he has something left. Morally im not sure you play a guy in his condition, but on the third or 4th line with limited minutes he may be amazing

The pens can have 4 legit scoring lines if built correctly

The pens traded Sutter for a legit third line center who should be able to do everything Sutter did, and a defenseman who is looking like he may take that next step... and got a higher draft pick swap too.... and that was all for less salary... that deal looks good early.

Sprong may force his way onto the club... though Id rather him season in the minors for a season to learn defense in north American hockey... if he was a north American instead of European, he is probably a top 10 pick, not a second rounder, but the pens win big with that one....

Pouliot is a big time talent, but no matter how much the coaches love him they have to send him down for the sytart of the season, at least... he needs it...

Doumulin is ready for 2nd pairing minutes with a solid partner... if he gets third line minutes with a good match he will be very effective as well...

I think I would rather Murray play almost everyday in the minors than sporadically in the NHL right now...

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Despres for Lovejoy didn't make sense. And the defense is dealing with that.
Call me dumb. But I think Sprong may be ready physically and mentally. Plotkinov looks decent as well. Dupuis needs to see the ice, just not often. The Crosby-Kessel-Kunitz line is fun to watch. I'd like to see Perron replace Kunitz. But Perron just isn't on the same page with Crosby and Phil. Geno and Hornqvist are going to be a good pairing. I'm pumped for them this season. I love Hornqvist. The guy is just a flat out hockey player

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Gave up 7 goals on 22 shots tonight. Wow. Aside from Letang, it appears they trotted out the weakest blue line they possibly could, minus Scuderi. Hope they get the D figured out here before long.

This team has had a really tough time against Detroit for some reason

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Plotnikov made the team! Yes. Can't wait to see him, Geno, and Hornqvist in regular season action now. Congrats to Sprong. The kid is going to have a good career with the Pens. Baptize him in the fire early. He'll catch on. And for the love of God. Why did they keep Scuderi?