• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens bring back Gonchar for a try-out!

Spike

Reaction score
Gonchar Returns

Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford went back to the future on Friday morning, as 2009 Stanley Cup champion defenseman Sergei Gonchar is set to return to Pittsburgh on a professional tryout contract.

The 41-year-old blueliner will arrive in Pittsburgh for training camp next month as the oldest member of the roster, three years the senior of the next-closest player, center Matt Cullen. Gonchar is coming with one goal in mind.

“My goal is to come to camp and show the team that I can still play,” Gonchar said. “Then I want to help the team in any way that I can. Whatever the team needs I’ll try to do. That’s the way that I am looking at it.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=777015

------------------------

wtf? haha - at least we didn't give up another blue chip prospect for a former D!

Can we trade Scuds now if he makes it? I swear if we start this season with Scuderi, Lovejoy and Gonchar on our blueline, I'm jumping off a bridge.

maybe this is so he can retire a Penguin?

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt he makes it. But he will be offered a job as a scout or something.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Another geriatric. If I was one of the young D down in WBS, I would be chomping at the bit to sign somewhere else. You won't get a chance in Pittsburgh if you can't fill up the net.

Spike

Reaction score
If I was one of the young D down in WBS, I would be chomping at the bit to sign somewhere else. You won't get a chance in Pittsburgh if you can't fill up the net.

yep

You get the sense the Pens are afraid to play the youngsters. While around the league everyone else is willing take them right out of the AHL and make them starters.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Might not even be worth a roster spot, but Sarge was a hell of a PP leader. If he can still skate the puck up and in on the PP it fills a need.....but like I said, worth a spot?

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
yep

You get the sense the Pens are afraid to play the youngsters. While around the league everyone else is willing take them right out of the AHL and make them starters.

Dumolin and Chorney were easily the Pens best defensive pairing against the Rangers. Puliot was playing well before his injury. What other proof do they need? Maybe Scuderi needs someone to play checkers with.

Spike

Reaction score
Dumolin and Chorney were easily the Pens best defensive pairing against the Rangers. Puliot was playing well before his injury. What other proof do they need? Maybe Scuderi needs someone to play checkers with.

I like Gonchar, but he stays somebody has to go and it would probably be Pouliot back to the AHL so we have someone to bring up from the minors when injuries happen.

barf