• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens acquire Kessel

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
My problems with the pens is that they seem to be becoming like the Yankees. They are picking up these high profile guys, but they are not working out and the team has no chemistry. Kessel is a goal scorer, but what if he creates tension in the locker room? I think team chemistry / attitude is very under-rated. I think the pens need to start building up from the draft and get a solid score together.

Spike

Reaction score
I think the pens need to start building up from the draft and get a solid score together.

We've BEEN building through the draft, we HAVE a solid core , Malkin, Letang, Sid, Fleury, Maata, Beau, Poulliot, Horny - we need to get to the Cup NOW

The future is NOW, screw the draft - we got a 3-5 year window - we got a blue chip winger for Sid in Kessel - now get out there and win!

and no more ******* injuries.

I still don't know how good this head coach is though - and did I mention they really ****** up by giving away Despres?

Last edited:

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I will give you Malkin, Letang, Sid, Fleury, and Maata, but Beau,Poulliot, and even Horny the jury is still out on. Our 5 vs 5 is pretty putrid and the PP still is not what it should be. Sid and Malkin have not had consistent linemates and the defense has been suspect. Last year was a rough year for injuries, but this year hopefully we cant use that as an excuse. Hopefully Crosby returns to normal. I still say he was not right last year.

Spike

Reaction score
I will give you Malkin, Letang, Sid, Fleury, and Maata,.

well holy **** - what do you want, a fantasy all-star team?

95% of teams would kill for such talent and most don't even come close

Kessel raises the bar even higher - he's a top 5 in the league sniper

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
well holy **** - what do you want, a fantasy all-star team?

95% of teams would kill for such talent and most don't even come close

Kessel raises the bar even higher - he's a top 5 in the league sniper

No thats my point. We seem to be trying to build an all-star fantasy team, but often times a team of all-stars does not work out. We need more depth from top to bottom. It has been shown that our superstar offense can be consistently shut down in the playoffs,

Spike

Reaction score
Teams will have one more huge threat to cover now, that can only help Sid and Malkin

besides, this front office would just go out and stockpile more Lovejoys and Scuderis - go offense, I say

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Hey....easy on Lovejoy! He is Despres's replacement after all.

I'm really not sure heavy O is the way to go............look at the PO's and finals last (this)year....it's a garage league........2-1,2-1,3-2,2-1......

BUT........here we are.....Go Phil, Go Sid, Go Malkin........AND......Go Horny! (sorry jitter, that jury is IN).

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
The difference with CHI and TB this past year in the PO, their stars performed. Their 3rd and 4th lines did, as well. If Toews and Kane didn't, Saad and Sharp did. Same with Stamkos and the Lightning.
The Pens need full team efforts. Malkin was invisible, as Sid tried, but was ghost-like, too. Horny, Perron, Kunitz, Duper, Kessel and the young Dmen HAVE to step up. I'm not concerned with MAF. He should be solid again. If this team averages 1-goal a game in the 2015/16 PO, blow the whole freakin' thing up. It's dead and stale.

deljzc

Reaction score
Pens have been underperforming lately when they get into the playoffs and maybe this will help.

Depth is still an issue. And I still worry about Russians come playoff time. Malkins runs so hot/cold and I suspect a whole line of Russians will too.

I wasn't a big fan of the Fluery contract extension and now we're stuck with more 1st shot goals for the next half decade.

It's been frustrating to watch because I thought this team should have been winning like Chicago the last 5 years and instead they've been knocked out WAY too easy in the playoffs.