• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL Coach Hires

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
With the playoffs in full throttle, the new head coach hires have gone under the radar. Any thoughts on any of these guys?

Bills - Sean McDermott
Broncos - Vance Joseph
Chargers - Anthony Lynn
49ers - vacant
Jaguars - Doug Marrone
Rams - Sean McVay

Last edited:

6Lombardis

Reaction score
You can add new Chargers coach Anthony Lynn to that list per NFLN. I can't imagine Haley going to SF, so perhaps he's safe in The Burgh

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I never understood rushing to hire retread coaches, or under interviewed coaches, when the better coaches are coaching longer into the playoffs. What's the hurry to hire someone. Nothing is going on before the scouting combine, and even then, if you don't have a coach, your GM and scouting staff will be there taking notes.

You are only hurting your program by not taking your time and going through the entire interview process. Perhaps Whiz should have held out and gone through the entire process. Then, perhaps, he'd still be a head coach somewhere...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I never understood rushing to hire retread coaches, or under interviewed coaches, when the better coaches are coaching longer into the playoffs. What's the hurry to hire someone. Nothing is going on before the scouting combine, and even then, if you don't have a coach, your GM and scouting staff will be there taking notes.

You are only hurting your program by not taking your time and going through the entire interview process. Perhaps Whiz should have held out and gone through the entire process. Then, perhaps, he'd still be a head coach somewhere...

Possibly for the availability of assistant coaches? Beyond that, I don't the major rush for the NFL. A lot of new blood on this list, but I am very interested to see what McVay can do in LA. He's got some talent on defense, but I'm not sold on Goff. Easily the most exciting hire in my eyes.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
With the playoffs in full throttle, the new head coach hires have gone under the radar. Any thoughts on any of these guys?

Bills - Sean McDermott
Broncos - Vance Joseph
Chargers - Anthony Lynn
49ers - vacant
Jaguars - Doug Marrone
Rams - Sean McVay

No idea. I don't know what it takes to be a successful NFL coach. I guess you know it when it happens. I suspect that none of them will be better than Tomlin. That said..

Tomlin sucks.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
look like some bad hires to me. I don't know why these owners all want to hire the young coach. You can find guys who have been coaching 20+ years and have seen it all, but these owners always seem to favor the young guys who walks in and tells the owner that they know a new way of doing things that the old coaches won't be able to stop.

Then there are the owners who hire the crusty old coach who has failed multiple times. There has to be a bunch of coaches in the middle. Guys who have been coaches for 15+ years in multiple systems and multiple positions.

I don't understand the rush for NFL teams. Colleges have to rush to hire a coach. A team without a coach starts losing recruits quickly. Then national signing day is first week of February so you can't exactly wait until after the bowl season to get a new coach.

NFL doesn't have that pressure. The draft isn't until April.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Jacksonville made the best moves......

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Sean McVay? Is that Timothy's brother?

I hope he doesn't come in and blow everything up. Who wants another Chip Kelly?...

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

Bills - Sean McDermott
Broncos - Vance Joseph
Chargers - Anthony Lynn
49ers - vacant
Jaguars - Doug Marrone
Rams - Sean McVay

I heard that vacant is really great. We went to different schools together.