• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My takeaways from the Philly preseason game

ark steel

Reaction score
What I see from Landry is he does not have a strong enough arm, and he has trouble hitting receivers in stride. Any of his passes over 10 yards are underthrown and behind the receivers. Many times the WR had the DB beat, but had to slow down or even stop for the ball.

He also seems to know to whom he is throwing it at the snap and nothing changes that and he keeps looking at that guy watching him run down the field so he knows when to throw it. There were a couple of instances when he threw the ball away or, on the scramble and throw to Coates that are different. Those were exceptions rather than the rule.

For the most part, when he did that, he was able to put the ball where the receiver could catch it. Sometimes it was where the defender could....

P

POP

He also seems to know to whom he is throwing it at the snap and nothing changes that and he keeps looking at that guy watching him run down the field so he knows when to throw it. There were a couple of instances when he threw the ball away or, on the scramble and throw to Coates that are different. Those were exceptions rather than the rule.

For the most part, when he did that, he was able to put the ball where the receiver could catch it. Sometimes it was where the defender could....

Yea, like 4 times in one half of football.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
* pash rush is hard to evaluate with three players nursing minor injuries... but the D-line looks like it could produce more pressure

* Green and Bryant could very well initially cause the O to slow, but something tells me Green won't be out as long as some think.

* slot CB is still a worrisome look

* whats Wallace's status? if that is anything significant with a often injured Pouncey, it will raise my level of concern

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't undersell Eli Rogers. I feel he is our third best receiver. 2b if you will too Wheaton. At the end of the year, Wheaton is gone, and Eli slides into the starting slot receiver. Eli will cause matchup problems the way he plays the a slot. He has more upside than anyone but Bryant on this roster. My 2cents.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Our TE's are hurting. James is just all right as a receiver and bad as a blocker.

I don't know if I'm prepared to call him bad at blocking, but certainly not very good. Two big whiffs last night (one run blocking, one pass blocking)..

Chicoman

Reaction score
I think the Steelers have a real hidden gem in Eli Rogers. I can honestly see this kid moving up the depth chart throughout the season possibly up to the #2 spot behind AB due to Bryant's season long suspension.

Someone said it in this thread his route running stands out and he's elusive out there. I'd love to see this kid be the 2016 version of Victor Cruz during his breakout year.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
It sounds like he is a Wes Welker type who flourishes as the slot receiver. AB can kinda do it all but they are just missing that take the top off the defense threat. Maybe Coates finishes strong and he can be that guy.

zmetkler

Sponsor
Reaction score
I went to the game, and even though we didn't put up a point, I had the opportunity of watching specific players during the night and there are some positives.

Jessie James is getting a ton of snaps. He looks good coming out of his breaks, and though he's not as explosive off the line as a young Heath Miller, he will be able to use his body and catch radius to make plays for us.

I liked watching the first team D this week better than last week. Timmons can still cover. Shazier was doing great in the holes. The D line is SOLID. We started both backup OLBs and still did very well

Eli Rogers will be a legit receiver in this league. He has the confidence and hands, but he also has something else. He may just be the second best route runner on our team. He looks like AB Jr the way he feigns his breaks and gets DBs to take a false step and he creates space. If it wasn't for a shoestring tackle, he had a chance to break his 5yd in pattern for a HUGE gain. He is also looking very good in return duties. He's decisive and explosive, which is good to see from a returner.

Berry will be our Punter week 1. Monday is learning that the NFL is not college. His punts are low and very returnable. He would be a liability for any team this year if he were their punter. Perhaps with a year to strengthen his leg, he may become an NFL punter, but I just don't see the talent that anyone would be excited about from his play in college. Besides, Berry is KILLING the football. It nearly leaves the stadium when he punts. Plus he has control. This guy may turn into a pro bowler if he keeps his kicks consistent this year.

Toussant looks like our 3rd string RB. He's a better receiver and route runner than Richardson, though I do like Richardson with the ball in his hands as a runner. Richardson will make the team if Bell is suspended, and when Bell returns, Richardson should be leaving the team.

Couldn't be more spot on. A lot of this lines up with my analysis of the game as well.
https://gzsportsreport.com/2016/08/21/takeaways-from-preseason-week-2-steelers-vs-eagles/

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Before I get too down on Coates, I'd like to see him in game action with Ben chucking the ball. I think he's more confident when when is the QB.

Based off of what exactly?

Stewey

Reaction score
How on freakin' earth did you come up with this assessment???????????? Jones sucks. I have been watching other pre-season games, and every single #2 I have watched for other teams is superior to Jones. They tried to make him work out and it just didn't. MOVE ON FROM A KNOWN MISTAKE. The one thing this team does that angers me is NOT ADMITTING A MISTAKE and then reacting to correct the mistake. Our back up QB situation is FUBAR. How can anyone deny it? FOUR ******* INTS IN ONE HALF?????????????????????????????? And you claim he is "capable?" Yea, capable of losing games entirely by himself. That is what he is "capable" of. Sorry, Steel Chip, not meant to be a rip on you, but I am flabbergasted that anyone concludes Jones is anything but terrible. Even his energy (or lack of) just sucks. He has no "fire in the belly." He is a wet towel. NO ONE seems to give **** when he is in the game. It's an awful situation.

I thought I was the only one who sensed that. He acts like he's out there because he has to be, not because he wants to be. I dunno, I could be wrong, just the impression I get.

Noticed it in the browns game last year. I think we lose that game if he didn't get hurt. Ben came in and was on fire.