• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Move Coates to DB?

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
This guy has been at WR for 2 years and he still can't do anything aside from run deep, and drop balls. He's a great athlete, but as a WR he reminds me of Ike Taylor. So why not give him a try on defense? Maybe he can be a press CB with size.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
He's great at knocking passes down, but my guess is he's way to soft for that, he wants nothing to do with combat catches, as Tomlin likes to say.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
makes as much sense as moving Jarvis to TE.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Well I for one want to see Coates in training camp with his fingers healed completely and if he continues to have the dropsies, then send him on his way. Personally, I wouldn't mind bringing back a healthy Wheaton at a fair contract to play along Bryant whom we missed more than we thought and AB. Throw in Eli Rogers and Ayers and I'm ok with that all day.
I do however think we need an upgrade at TE since I think Green is destined for retirement and could never be counted on to stay healthy. James is ok but don't want his as my primary TE.Whether we upgrade in FA or the draft we need to do something here.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Coates has been catching the ball great for a couple months in practice, per Gerry Dulac, his fingers are fine, the dude is just garbage.

mdk2

Reaction score
Move Coates off the team.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Or moving Villanueva from TE to LT? Or Nix from DT to FB?

WRs get moved the DB all the time. It usually happens in college though. I bet Coates would have been a DB at most colleges, but he played at Auburn where the use a run heavy spread option. He was a good blocker and when Auburn did pass, he was often running free downfield and still had his share of drops.

i bet if he played on a passing team in college, he probably would have been switched to DB already.

the steelers need to go into the offseason looking for a deep threat outside WR. In terms of planning, Coates is to the WRs as Jarvis is to the OLBs. If he has a breakout, great, but you have to plan on replacing him.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
We'll see what they think of Bryants offseason, they need a #2 WR in a bad way, they need to either go sign one, or draft one if they don't trust Bryant.

mdk2

Reaction score
Would have much rather seen DHB get those routes that Coates continuously gets. DHB doesn't have great hands either but he's caught passes and kept us in the game when we played them earlier in the year with Jones at QB.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Coates started out the season pretty well catching the deep ball but now can't catch a cold. I thought this may have been do to the injury to his fingers but that sounds like its not the issue. What the hell happened to this guy?

I really want Bryant back and pray to God he can stay clean. The guy is a beast and can make a huge difference but we most likely need to draft another WR or sign one just in case.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He's great at knocking passes down, but my guess is he's way to soft for that, he wants nothing to do with combat catches, as Tomlin likes to say.

More reason AYERS should have had a hat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salute the nnation

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Coates is done. He shouldn't even be on the ******* team next year.

Limas Sweed was more useful. I'm serious. At least Ben knew better than to even TRY to throw the ball at Sweed. He's foolishly TEMPTED to throw it at Coates. That's just a waste of a down.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say no, because his footwork is poor, and I doubt he'd be able to open his hips well, but he can tackle well on ST, so that's a plus. We are thick at WR and thin at CB. I'd like him to go into an entire offseason training to play DB before forming an opinion seeing him play in preseason.