• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Matthews approaching Steelers shot the right way

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hews-approaching-steelers-shot-the-right-way/

Mike Matthews approaching Steelers shot the right way

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 27, 2017, 7:57 AM EDT

Getty Images
Being part of one of the first families of football has given Mike Matthews the chance to learn plenty of lessons.

But the perspective he gained last year gave him a chance to teach one to his Hall of Fame father.

The son of legendary offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, Mike is fighting for a chance to make the Steelers roster this year. He spent last fall out of football and selling shoulder pads, after being released by the Browns.

And his father Bruce told Max Bultman of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about a recent conversation with his son that suggested that he’s in good shape, regardless.

“I still want to play, passionately, but I realize that this is a very small part of my life, even if it does go great,” Bruce said Mike told him. “It was kind of humbling to me, because I’m thinking, ‘Oh gosh. I should have said that to him instead of he to me.’ ”

If Mike is going to make it, it will be under the eye of someone the family knows well. Steelers line coach Mike Munchak played with Bruce on some great Oilers lines and hired him as an assistant when he was coaching the Titans, but won’t be cutting the kid of a friend any slack. Munchak has cut one of Matthews’ kids before (Kevin, in Tennessee), so that much is known.

“For me, it was weird to see that side of football,” Mike said. “Because my dad played 19 years, and it’s like, ‘You play until you don’t want to play any more,’ and that was what I thought.”

Mike has an outside shot to make the Steelers this year, working at guard as well as center. But whether he makes it or not, he’s learned that nothing is owed to him because of his family name, and that whatever happens will be a short chapter in his story.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Great read and thanks for posting this. NO favoritism because of dad. Uncle Jarvis is proof you should NOT play on a team that you have relation on the coaching staff as your likely to last longer.

Salute the nation

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if someone steps up and challenges an existing starter. The line is in very good shape IMO. Having good backups is a big positive for us.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Great read and thanks for posting this. NO favoritism because of dad. Uncle Jarvis is proof you should NOT play on a team that you have relation on the coaching staff as your likely to last longer.

Salute the nation

who was JJ related to ?

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
who was JJ related to ?

The point I was making is that he isn't related to ANYONE on the STEELERS. As the article said Mathews isn't going to make it just because he has relation with in the ranks. I.E. Meaning if you have relation you are scrutinized more than if you don't, thus the Uncle Jarvis reference of longivity. He had no relation within the ranks........wasn't scrutinized as close.............managed to last a lot longer............ As lame as this anology is I was just trying to give a back door reasoning as to why Uncle stayed so long.

Salute the nation

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope the young man does well regardless of if he makes the team or not. Sounds like a sold person.