• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Interesting article on DHB

nooneuno

Forefather
Reaction score

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't consider him a bust or a flop. He managed to stick and find a niche.

I am happy for him.............

steelcan58

Reaction score
That's good and rare for professional athletes. But if someone was kind enough to drop $35 million in my lap, I'd have it all left too - and then some. Pretty sure I could live off investment earnings in markets that have gone up over 2X the past 8 years.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
He was pretty much a bust initially. He had a few moments but flamed out pretty quickly. However, he was one of the few of those guys who was able to rededicate themselves and carve out a niche for years. I think a lot of high draft picks ego would not allow themselves to go from the "star" to a role player. Many probably would rather retire instead of taking a diminished role and continuing to work hard. DHB by all accounts is a level headed guy and a team oriented guy. He may have not been that way when he was young but if so, he has come a long way.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
DHB is a man that realizes earning over a million a year, even if it is a pay cut from his rookie deal, is still a nice salary to do what you love. Hoping he goes off this week in his expanded role. Wondering if his starting this week is a sign Ben will as well, pretty sure we don't need too many fly routes if check down Landry is starting.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh, no way he stays on anywhere at #7 money but like the Gilbert kid, he gets second life at sensible money and stays employed. More power to them.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
If he can get a 4% return on 35 million (which in safe fixed security and bonds is not that hard) he can average 1.4 million a year for the rest of his life...

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope he receives an extension and can retire here. He's a Steeler though and through. He's a hard worker and he's a humble man. This is the vet I would want around my young players.

Reactions: MTC

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The story about him is impressive. I like the fact that the "MOM" is paying herself and be held accountable be the weekly financial statement. Good for the both of them.

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Good for him. Refreshing to read from most stories you hear about off field stuff. Hope he sticks around for the youngsters and when the time comes enjoy retirement. If he lives comfortably, he says he's not flashy. He's gonna be just fine

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
His attitude about doing whatever it takes makes him a winner.

steelermania

Reaction score
DHB is the Swiss Army Knife of the Steelers. He's not particularly great, but he's competent at a lot of things. Like Supersteeler pointed out, he was able to bury the disappointment of not living up to his draft status, and make a career for himself. To the Steelers credit, they didn't let his draft status influence them. I think when a high draft pick doesn't work out, too many teams totally write the player off. In a league where there's a spot for Landry Jones, it's hard to believe that Matt Leinart, or even Vince Young couldn't be a somewhat serviceable backup, but because they failed as high draft picks, they were quickly swept out of the league.