• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If you weren't done with espn before...

ark steel

Reaction score
also should tell you all you need to know about PFF..

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Personally I would put Roethlisberger number 1 with Eli not too far back #2 and Rivers a distant 3rd. Comparing Eli has more yards, TD's, INT's, (more games too) and just as many super bowl wins. So If Roethlisberger is a 84.2 I would put Eli around 80. I would put Rivers in the mid 70's.

Steelerz99

Forefather
Reaction score
The article deals w/performance, not wins. You can bend stats how you want to which what this one is doing. Rivers has been very good, but not special and we all know Ben has some damn fine special moments that puts him in rare air. Rivers has been a good QB capable of throwing w/the best, but so have a lot of them through the years. Manning is a conundrum. Like Flacco, he doesn't really excite you for the most part, but has had special moments in the playoffs. Other than that, his regular seasons have been good to average to dreadful.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
How many Super Bowls has Rivers won?

deljzc

Reaction score
Well, statistically Rivers and Ben are very similar. So if PFF is somewhat a similar "statistical analysis" then Rivers and Ben are close (which they are over that type of sample of games). And as stated in the article an "informal survey" of GM's gave Ben a 5-0 vote over Rivers, which seems correct to me as well.

We've all seen bad games from Roethlisberger. The guy isn't infallible.

And there is no doubt ownership of the Steelers and their management style (however critical of it we sometimes are) has been much better than San Diego's. Rivers is on getting his 4th head coach and has at least bounced around 4-5 offensive coordinators (some leaving/returning). I would argue from a talent evaluation standpoint, Colbert has done a better job putting talent around Roethlisberger than late A.J. Smith or (now) Tom Telesco (although A.J. Smith did have a good run from 2003-2008).

And there has been a significant different in defensive coaching and talent between the teams.

Quarterbacks are important but they aren't everything. It takes many parts of a team to excel in order to go deep in the playoffs. And sometimes a bit of luck as well. I mean we KNOW that the fumble off the interception against New England was probably a 1-in-a-1000 chance. They had them beat without that and history could be talking completely differently about Rivers (and Schottenheimer) had that play not happened. You just never know.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I love people looking for ways to belittle Ben's accomplishments.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I would put Roethlisberger number 1 with Eli not too far back #2 and Rivers a distant 3rd. Comparing Eli has more yards, TD's, INT's, (more games too) and just as many lowB repuS wins. So If Roethlisberger is a 84.2 I would put Eli around 80. I would put Rivers in the mid 70's.

I'd give Eli extra points for beating the Pats twice. Some little kid in Guatemala is still wearing a Patriots 19-0 T shirt:chuncky:

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
It's all about winning super bowls. The rest is just curtains around the window. Rivers is the curtain around the window looking out at Ben lifting Lombardi trophies.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I think if Eli or Rivers is on the Steelers, Rivers has 2 more championships than he does now and Eli is at least even

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
If you tune out, you will miss the first female play by play announcer, Beth Mowins. She'll be in the booth with Rex Ryan. Sure you want to miss that?

I am.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Well come on he has Roethlisberger by .4 on a passing Metric. That's pretty significant don't you think. Go Phillip.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Subjective stats espn uses are as useful as shaved asshair... you can make a wig for a pig out of it, but it just stinks worse

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, BUTT that straw has been looooooooooooong been in place. ESPN hasn't been watched by me in years. The p[olitical bullshit and NON-SPORTS talk pansy azz ****. they haven't been relevant for a long time, similar to RIVERS, how relevant has he been??? OH, wait..... I forgot,........ Rivers= PANzy Azz Hall of Fame.

Salute the nation

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Rivers is a straight *****. I would never want him playing for my team. I'm very content watching him ***** it up for the Chargers

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
People forget that, for many consecutive years, the Chargers were everybody's favorite pick to go deep in the playoffs because they were always "the most talented team in the league" psh

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steelerfan

Reaction score
Sorry, BUTT that straw has been looooooooooooong been in place. ESPN hasn't been watched by me in years. The p[olitical bullshit and NON-SPORTS talk pansy azz ****. they haven't been relevant for a long time, similar to RIVERS, how relevant has he been??? OH, wait..... I forgot,........ Rivers= PANzy Azz Hall of Fame.

Salute the nation

I really miss the giant font and bolded text with these rants. Just call me old fashioned I guess. :rockon:

black and gold apex

Reaction score
And ESPN thinks they have sports smarts. Stats mean everything to ESPN wins nothing. No wonder I continue to shake my head from anything about ESPN.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
ESPN has always thought they were sports smart. Stats mean everything to this company wins zero. No wonder anything brought up by ESPN I shake my head at.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Did anyone read the article? PFF, not ESPN, rates Rivers ahead of Roethlisberger using their grading system. Instead, the ESPN writer surveys five GMS--all in favor of Ben--and brings a quote from the well-respected ESPN employee Louis Riddick.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
ESPN became **** when they started showing commercials during SportsCenter. "Stay tuned for Tiger's next Nike Commercial" and spend another 5 minutes of Tiger dicking around on set during the filming. That and those stupid ******* Hot Seat quizzes. **** that channel.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
ESPN hasn't been relevant for a long loooong time. Even before the bob costas and oberman editorials about gun control,......ON A ******* SPORTS channel, of all things. Don't watch them at all and highly doubt I ever will. Did I say F-U-C-K espn ??????

Salute the nation