• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If the NHL had more Americans in it, would the popularity rise?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
If the NHL had more Americans in it, would the popularity rise?

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
I doubt it. It's like golf. The core fans are pretty much the only fans. I'm fine with the way it is though, really. Most arenas pretty much pack them in except maybe Miami.

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
I doubt it. It's like golf. The core fans are pretty much the only fans. I'm fine with the way it is though, really. Most arenas pretty much pack them in except maybe Miami.

I don't know, if they had fighting in Golf, maybe I'd watch it.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
It is great to see the Canadian sport becoming so important in so many other countries and be the backbone of the Winter Olympics.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I never understood what people had against hockey, especially the concept that it is tough to watch on TV. Can't say I've ever had a problem tracking the puck. I'd like to see them go the way of the NFL to open the game up so the talented players can skate without being mugged, but as far as the American thing goes, I don't think it makes a difference.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm liking the step-child position Hockey has. The NFL got really big in the head, and look at it now. I hope the NHL doesn't go that way.

Golf with fights. Epic idea.

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
Treat it with respect the way the State of Minnesota does. The State of Hockey.

Two thirds of the 1980 Olympic "Miracle on Ice" team were from Minnesota. One third of current Division 1 hockey players and 20 percent of all the Americans in the NHL are from Minnesota.

Hockey - It's what we do.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
Treat it with respect the way the State of Minnesota does. The State of Hockey.

Two thirds of the 1980 Olympic "Miracle on Ice" team were from Minnesota. One third of current Division 1 hockey players and 20 percent of all the Americans in the NHL are from Minnesota.

Hockey - It's what we do.

Last I heard, there were 12 Western PA guys in the NHL. Everyone here knows some kid that is involved in ice hockey. You can thank Mario Lemuiex for that.

As far as more Americans playing, possibly so. I think the better option would be to adopt a more European style of hockey, and not the Canadian goon fest.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Last I heard, there were 12 Western PA guys in the NHL. Everyone here knows some kid that is involved in ice hockey. You can thank Mario Lemuiex for that.

As far as more Americans playing, possibly so. I think the better option would be to adopt a more European style of hockey, and not the Canadian goon fest.

Like Crosby vs. Ovechkin?

If you do some work, you will find that most of the historical "goon" teams were American. Sure, Canadians played on them, but there has never been a Canadian-based "goon" fest. Loafs, Sens, Evil habs, Jets, Oilers, Flames and Canucks have never had a meathead approach. But maybe I forgot something? Canadian players still dominate the numbers, so the number of Canadian born goons should be in the majority too.

It would have been nice to see a Loaf team do something, even fight, over the past 50 years. At least that would have been some sort of accomplishment.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Interesting FYI Professional Hockey began in Western Pa. Pittsburgh also had a NHL team that predated the "original 6". Lots of hockey tradition here.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I never understood what people had against hockey, especially the concept that it is tough to watch on TV. Can't say I've ever had a problem tracking the puck. I'd like to see them go the way of the NFL to open the game up so the talented players can skate without being mugged, but as far as the American thing goes, I don't think it makes a difference.

People tend to follow sports they have emotional ties to. Much of that comes from either playing it as a kid or having a kid play it. Of the major pro sports in the US, hockey is the hardest to play... it takes more skill than any of the rest, it takes more specialized equipment than any of the rest, and the areas you can play are extremely limited.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting FYI Professional Hockey began in Western Pa. Pittsburgh also had a NHL team that predated the "original 6". Lots of hockey tradition here.

For a great many years, and to this day, many Canadian "amateur" teams offer some/great means of support for their players. For instance, major junior players find educational bonuses and offseason jobs come very easily. Back in the 1890s, when hockey became more than a local phenomenon, the amateur teams were very well backed by local financing; many small mining towns were able to attract amazing "amateurs" to remote locations because of the nature of the total economic package.

This is akin to the 1970s and1980s when the Soviets maintained amateur status for their players who happened to moonlight in the Red Army while clearly being professional in every real way. And that is why every Canadian hockey player loves Bobby Clarke.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
It is great to see the Canadian sport becoming so important in so many other countries and be the backbone of the Winter Olympics.

It seems like Hockey ratings are on the rise and their playoffs have been rather good. I enjoy watching hockey live, but the filming to me does not translate well into television.

If they can add more cameras to a hockey rink for a game, I think it would be a good thing.

I also prefer Olympic rules to NFL rules. Open up the ice, and you'll see the playmakers shine more often. Also allow 2 line passes.

My $.02

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like Hockey ratings are on the rise and their playoffs have been rather good. I enjoy watching hockey live, but the filming to me does not translate well into television.

If they can add more cameras to a hockey rink for a game, I think it would be a good thing.

I also prefer Olympic rules to NFL rules. Open up the ice, and you'll see the playmakers shine more often. Also allow 2 line passes.

My $.02

Nice to agree with coach on something!

More flowing, more offense, more on-ice artistry would all help. The NHL should mandate that all ice-level seats be removed and that the ice be extended several feet in each dimension at all arenas. Or really call obstructionist fouls like rules state (holding, holding the stick, interference, etc.).

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, as Canada's racial makeup changes dramatically, I would expect the percentage of NHL hockey players to drop. Hockey participation numbers for kids are declining, and have been for some time, as busy parents focus on less expensive and less time consuming individual sports and activities: judo takes one hour per week with minor associated equipment costs, while hockey several hours, over several days, with far great registration expenses and far greater equipment needs for growing kids. In small centers, it probably costs $12-1500 per season per child, while the cost in larger centers is far greater. I know of parents of 8 year olds paying over $7,000 all in per season. The days of Canadian domination of hockey have passed.....

deljzc

Reaction score
I would start by making the nets 3" taller and 6" wider.

When you watch old hockey from the 1970's and 1980's the goalies were SMALL in the nets. Ever since Roy and Brodeaur all goalies use oversized pads, jerseys 10 sizes too big and whatnot. And goalies in general are just bigger. Hard to be under 6'-0" anymore and they all butterfly.

Right now the windows to shoot into are way too small. Scoring is WAY too low.

In the 1970's scoring was 7+ goals a game (both teams). In the mid-80's it was almost 8 goals a game. In 1993-1994 it was STILL 7.25 goals a game.

Ever since the strike in 1995 it has been below 6.0 goals a game average. That's abnormally low and the league has done nothing to correct it. Players have gotten bigger and stronger. The left-wing trap revolutionized defense. Expansion watered down the offensive talent pool.

The league also has WAY too many teams in it. There should be 24 NFL franchises.

The teams in the sun belt should all be disbanded. They don't draw. They don't generate TV ratings.

Phoenix, Florida, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Anaheim gone.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Nice to agree with coach on something!

More flowing, more offense, more on-ice artistry would all help. The NHL should mandate that all ice-level seats be removed and that the ice be extended several feet in each dimension at all arenas. Or really call obstructionist fouls like rules state (holding, holding the stick, interference, etc.).

Agreed. Open up the ice! While they would lose some of the live gate, I think the game would be much better on TV, and the ratings would go up. Fans want to see more up tempo passing and scoring. All sports go though changes. Many felt the 3 point shot in the NBA was a gimmick. Now its one of the best things it has.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score

When you watch old hockey from the 1970's and 1980's the goalies were SMALL in the nets. Ever since Roy and Brodeaur all goalies use oversized pads, jerseys 10 sizes too big and whatnot. And goalies in general are just bigger. Hard to be under 6'-0" anymore and they all butterfly.

In the 1970's scoring was 7+ goals a game (both teams). In the mid-80's it was almost 8 goals a game. In 1993-1994 it was STILL 7.25 goals a game.

Ever since the strike in 1995 it has been below 6.0 goals a game average. That's abnormally low and the league has done nothing to correct it. Players have gotten bigger and stronger. The left-wing trap revolutionized defense. Expansion watered down the offensive talent pool.

The league also has WAY too many teams in it. There should be 24 NFL franchises.

The teams in the sun belt should all be disbanded. They don't draw. They don't generate TV ratings.

Personally I don't mind low scoring affairs. If I wanted to watch pinball game like scoring, I'd watch arena football.

I agree with you on the sunbelt teams to a point. Tampa Bay and Nashville are both doing ok imo.

Spike

Reaction score

You're drunk and have no idea what you're talking about

Tampa Bay, Sharks had higher attendance numbers than the Pens

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Personally I don't mind low scoring affairs. If I wanted to watch pinball game like scoring, I'd watch arena football.

I agree with you on the sunbelt teams to a point. Tampa Bay and Nashville are both doing ok imo.

I don't mind a low scoring game if there is good defense, checking, and goal tending. A good defensive game isn't always boring.

Rod Farva

Reaction score

Good post.....right up to the teams to eliminate part. TB has become one of my favorite teams...young, talented and passionate.

I don't mind a low scoring game if there is good defense, checking, and goal tending. A good defensive game isn't always boring.

Correct......good d can be fun to watch. BUT as already mentioned the officials really badly need to start calling the obstructionist ****.....I tear my hair out over how inconsistent the various crews are.......even the same crews (or refs) are inconsistent from one game to another. Something as basic as calling it when a back pedaling d man leaves his lane by 25 feet to get in front of someone rushing up ice (and which gets completely ignored) would make a diff. Just call the penalties you're supposed to call...scoring would increase just from that.

I agree that something needs to change regarding goal / goalies......most of those guys really fill the net anymore.