• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Have the Ravens and other NFL teams learned how to slow down our offense?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Have the Ravens and other NFL teams learned how to slow down our offense?

I lean toward yes. Here me out. Teams look to put 8 men up close, attacking the gaps and making Bell pay for his hesitation moves while paying extra attention to Brown on slants and screens which also happen close to the line where the traffic of the defense is being deployed.

This can force the Steelers to beat them with the Tight End over the middle, or with the other receivers deep.

James isn't a threat after the catch, Coates is too hit or miss. Sometimes the Steelers use their 2nd TE or FB, but if the ball is going to these players, the opposing defense will take it. Wheaton is missing in action.

The result is a drive that ends in punts. Calling three run plays on 3rd and 4 yards or more does not help either, but back to the point, our superstars in Bell and Brown might need a better supporting cast against the sharper Head Coaches / Defensive coordinators.

Thoughts?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
more of under-performing than being figured out IMO

O-line
Coates
Wheaton
LG still in limbo
not moving Brown around enough

plenty of reasons

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Coates seems to have 1 route.
It starts 30 yards downfield.

TazManianDevil

Forefather
Reaction score
this is where Jesse James down the seam would be ideal....or laderious Green as well.

I think it wasn't as much as the ravens stopping us....it was more of stupid play calls/ stupid game plan (3rd and 5...and we run up the gut against a stacked line? reallly?)

this is the difference with bellicheck and tomlin....bellicheck will immediately stop doing something that isn't working...Like running up the gut with bell....bellicheck will adjust quickly...multiple times within a game....not Tomlin though...this moron will put a square pig into a round hole all day...because that was the game plan coming in.

once ben started to shake the rust off...stop worrying about his injury and just sling it...we saw the real steelers offense towards the end yesterday....deep balls, short balls, outs, curls, crosses...they were doing it at the end...over 200 yds in a single qtr. that rats defense had no answer and if Coates catches that perfectly thrown ball they would've come out with a win.

so no they haven't figured **** out...it's more of the Steelers/tomlin/Haley being stubborn than anything else.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
this is where Jesse James down the seam would be ideal....or laderious Green as well.

I think it wasn't as much as the ravens stopping us....it was more of stupid play calls/ stupid game plan (3rd and 5...and we run up the gut against a stacked line? reallly?)

this is the difference with bellicheck and tomlin....bellicheck will immediately stop doing something that isn't working...Like running up the gut with bell....bellicheck will adjust quickly...multiple times within a game....not Tomlin though...this moron will put a square pig into a round hole all day...because that was the game plan coming in.

once ben started to shake the rust off...stop worrying about his injury and just sling it...we saw the real steelers offense towards the end yesterday....deep balls, short balls, outs, curls, crosses...they were doing it at the end...over 200 yds in a single qtr. that rats defense had no answer and if Coates catches that perfectly thrown ball they would've come out with a win.

so no they haven't figured **** out...it's more of the Steelers/tomlin/Haley being stubborn than anything else.

another vote for lack of adjustments

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
another vote for lack of adjustments

Yes, go 4 or 5 wide. THEN the Ravens and other teams can's stuff the run. Bell's actually a good draw type of runner when things are spread out anyway.

So its part coaching, but it also part that we don't have a reliable #2 WR or TE.

TazManianDevil

Forefather
Reaction score
if I was the Steelers I'd give Hamilton more reps right now....he might be a good #2.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Good point. Also we never change, after watching the defense for one quarter of the game. We still try deep passes and really Brown and Coates unless totally open never fight for the ball so it becomes a wasted play. We seem to very seldom run anyone across the middle say ten from scrimmage. James seems to be pulled into block more than be any threat on a pass. I thought Rogers was going to be the man for a slot receiver which we dearly need with Coates and Brown just running down the field or that goofy receiver screen. I just watched the replay and being over the emotion part I cannot to the best of me understand anything we did in the first half.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I said this before the season that this football team was going to miss Martavis Bryant immensely and its showing. Add to that that they are not getting the production from Wheaton as they expected and the loss of Heath has loomed large as well with his receiving dependability and blocking. Three huge reasons why this offense is different from last year.

Now add to that the fact De Castro is for some unknown reason not having stellar season, The LT position is weak and needs to be upgraded, Marcus Gilbert missing several games and now Pouncey most likely gone.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Now add to that the fact De Castro is for some unknown reason not having stellar season, The LT position is weak and needs to be upgraded, Marcus Gilbert missing several games and now Pouncey most likely gone.

This should not be a big problem, Pouncey hasn't played on this team enough lately to miss him.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Our play calling seems to hurt us more than the other team does. I wouldn't have tried to run much against
the Ravens. I would have put Bell in receiver position, rather than backfield. Seemed like we wanted to make
Ravens worry about the draw to protect Ben. I would have gone to quick passing and no huddle to protect Ben instead.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is Green's last week to be activated. I sure hope they do and give him a hat. Our TE's have definitely been under-performing after starting the season looking decent. If he does end up on IR after this week, I will be pissed.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Stupid game plans, this offense should be in a 3wr set most of the the time, keep the D spread out, and you can use Bell coming out of the backfield.

cphill

Reaction score
Let's face it.......we're just not as good as advertised........

Spike

Reaction score
Stupid game plans, this offense should be in a 3wr set most of the the time, keep the D spread out, and you can use Bell coming out of the backfield.

Exactly - Ravens strength is stopping the run at the LOS, so what do we do? Slam Bell straight up the gut for 50 minutes over and over, that's on Haley and Tomlin.

Did we throw one swing pass to Bell? I don't think so.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
Run, Run, third and long pass under pressure, punt. Stevie Wonder could defend the game plan from yesterday. The only ones who can't figure the problem out is our incompetent coaching staff.