• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gripes and worries so far.....

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
2nd page and still no Tomlin bashing? WTH is going on in this twilight zone?

Depth at RB is concerning considering the age of D Will and the stupidity of Bell. D Will has defied his age so far and love him, but Father Time can be cruel when RBs get into their 30s.

Gripe: Whiff is back do to his ability to do several things poorly so likely a candidate with a higher upside will be jettisoned when the 53 is constructed, if Grimble loses a spot to keep Whiff argh!!!

Worried about depth on the interior of the OL, especially considering Pouncey's past history of injuries/surgeries.

Do we have a backup DE on the roster or will Tuitt and Heyward have to play 90% of the snaps every game and be gassed in crunch time and down the stretch when games really matter. The combo of Walton, Mathews and Lyons doesn't comfort me much...I like the rookie DT, but coming from a small school vs weak competition doesn't make me want to rely on him and then there is McCullers. We are thin as can be along the DL.

Finally the biggest concern has to be the secondary, no need to even beat this dead horse.

In many ways we seem to be exactly where we were last year heading into the season which leads me to believe this season has 11-5 written all over it and likely a road game in the AFC championship. As Steeler fans we are accustomed to being spoiled with SB wins, hoping for the best but there are definitely reasons to be concerned.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!

Its the pre-season. Coaches aren't going to be bashed, but I did say counting on Lewis in the slot is unwise and the Steelers should start Burns in pre-season game #1 and #2 just to see how he does on the outside. # trade for Rowe and offer a 4th. we need an outside CB who can play. Gay might have to play the slot.

The depth at OL is fine. Even if Pouncey goes down again, Wallace rpelaced him without much issue.

Depth is thin at TE, DL at the 5 and 6th spot, and at RB for the start of the season. Back up QB is an issue.

As for the predicted record, that's easy! Just tell me .how many games does Ben miss in 2016?

0-2 games = 11-5 or better
3-4 games = 9-7 to 10-6
5+ games = no playoffs.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Its the pre-season. Coaches aren't going to be bashed, but I did say counting on Lewis in the slot is unwise and the Steelers should start Burns in pre-season game #1 and #2 just to see how he does on the outside. # trade for Rowe and offer a 4th. we need an outside CB who can play. Gay might have to play the slot.

The depth at OL is fine. Even if Pouncey goes down again, Wallace rpelaced him without much issue.

Depth is thin at TE, DL at the 5 and 6th spot, and at RB for the start of the season. Back up QB is an issue.

As for the predicted record, that's easy! Just tell me .how many games does Ben miss in 2016?

0-2 games = 11-5 or better
3-4 games = 9-7 to 10-6
5+ games = no playoffs.

Coach this ain't your first rodeo around here Tomlin gets bashed at any and all points, preseason or not....please.

Who is this Lewis guy in the slot?

Don't think Rowe is the answer, bring him in if cut but I wouldn't even give them Jarvis for him.

OL depth when Pouncey goes down Foster/Wallace/DeCastro with either Hubbard or Finney, your words have not swayed my belief that we lack depth on the interior. I love Wallace's mean streak but he is a bottom 5 starting center.

Your right TE depth is weak with James, Whiff and Gimble assuming Green gets cut which appears a real possibility.

I'm worried about more than the 5 and 6 spots on the DL. We have 2 really good players, a rookie who shows promise and then the concerns begin. Big Dan being the big question mark, conditioning and ability. Then we have very little with Mathews, Walton and Lyons. If one of our top 2 goes down we instantly feel the pain.

Chicoman

Reaction score
I'll say this I'm happy so far with the progress of Jessie James he looked good last night run blocking and alertly covered up a fumble by Coates. He has good hands too.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
this both MT Colbert's fault should of traded up 5 slots and taken william jackson

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, lets get another Eagles CB that they don't want. Worked out great for us last time...

Wingman

Reaction score
Either the guys will step up and play well or the steelers will have high draft picks next year, we can't lose. It is early to tell what will happen. As to the tackles looking bad against the ends on the steelers defense that could be a good indicator of improved defensive line play. Generally defenses will look better sooner than offenses.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Not gonna panic over one pre-season game. Always want the guys to win, but the sloppiness is always there for some teams in the first game. 2013 was a bad start, but I think this Steelers team is different.

Villanueva looked a little antsy than anything. I think he tried to over correct his play resulting in mess ups. Grant will develop quickly and provide some needed depth at db this season. **** and Gay will be solid. My only worry is I hope Coates doesn't linger on this game. Want to see more out of Ayers and Matakevich. I thought Matakevich had a nice block on special teams. Heard the pads pop. His limited time in the 4th wasn't great, but that whole third string group looked lost. Ayers is explosive. Good pick and good call Coolie. Ayers has football speed. Ricardo Matthews and LJ Fort are gonna be studs. These guys will be fine

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Now we have played on preseason game and yes we have some problems when 90 percent on field could all be cut. Why we picked some of these players is a big question mark.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
this both MT Colbert's fault should of traded up 5 slots and taken william jackson

Yep, then we could have something to really worry about as far as CB depth ... last year's second rounder and this year's first rounder both looking at being on IR for the season.

ark steel

Reaction score
Yea, lets get another Eagles CB that they don't want. Worked out great for us last time...

You, definitely, don't give up more that a fourth. Then think....10 wonderlic, mid-2nd round player they are wiling to give up after 1 year and they are willing to take a 4th next year? Doesn't sound like you are getting that good a player. MUST be some issues.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Can't believe some of the bitching I'm reading about a pre season game

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
The Good:

Ben looks amazing. The OL is very good and deep. The WR's and RB's are very good. Coates looks like a breakout player!

Rookie Hargrave looks like he can add to the pass rush, 2nd-year man Chickillo looks like he has improved as a pass rusher and coverage backer.

The Bad:

Injures. Shazier dinged again. The TE unit is a huge question mark. Green is still not 100%. Golson out 12 weeks, maybe more. Burns does not look ready to play. I have not heard Dupree's name much this camp.

The Ugly:

Bell and Bryant suspensions. I'm not sure if Bell can make or pass his next test. The DB's as a group are going to be toast. We have no slot corner and limited depth at both corner and safety.

There you have it, no rose colored glasses here.

Your "The Good" analysis is confusing, because two of the guys you mentioned, who were supposedly having great camps, played like crap in the preseason game. Coates, looking like one of my son's 110-pound teammates who had never been taught how to properly carry the football before, broke out with two fumbles. Chickillo was practically invisible.

Nothing good about that.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Well the Steelers spent a 2nd rounder last year and a 1st rounder this season on corners...

******* aren't even trying to improve

Too bad they were the wrong ones.