• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

GAME RECAP: Eagles 17, Steelers 0

IronMike52

Reaction score
Stats

THE BASICS
Score: Philadelphia Eagles 17, Pittsburgh Steelers 0
Location: Heinz Field -- Pittsburgh, Pa. -- Attendance: 45,351
The Short Story: Four first-half interceptions by Landry Jones were the lowlights of another ugly preseason loss for the Pittsburgh Steelers (0-2) as the Philadelphia Eagles (2-0) came away with a 17-0 win on Thursday (Aug. 18) at Heinz Field.

HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Steelers gained just 207 total yards and picked up 12 first downs on 12 drives.
• Jones finished 12-of-20 for 111 yards and four picks in the first half. Training camp arm Dustin Vaughan went 7-of-13 for 67 yards.
• Eli Rogers hauled in four passes for 39 yards. Two of his receptions were third-down conversions. He also returned two punts for 23 yards. Cobi Hamilton caught four passes and led the team with 44 receiving yards.
• On the defensive side of the ball, Montell Garner logged five solo tackles and forced a fumble. L.J. Fort finished with four solo tackles. Al-Hajj Shabazz notched four tackles -- including three solo stops. Tyler Matakevich recorded five tackles -- three of which were solo stops.
• Jordan Berry averaged 51 yards on two punts.
• On the first play of Pittsburgh’s second drive, Nolan Carroll stepped in front of a Jones’ pass intended for Sammie Coates and returned it 38 yards for a pick six.
• The Steelers engineered a 14-play, 71-yard, 8:38 drive on the ensuing possession but managed to come away with no points. Coates was flagged for offensive pass interference to bring up a 1st-and-20 from the Steelers’ own 36, but Jones found Rogers for a gain of 14 on second down, then hit him again for a nine-yard strike on 3rd-and-5 to move the chains and put Pittsburgh in Eagles’ territory. Coates set the Steelers up with a 3rd-and-3 at the eight with an end around that went for nine yards on 2nd-and-12, but Jones threw another interception on a ball intended for Hamilton, who was being blanketed by Leodis McKelvin, in the corner of the end zone that was tipped and snatched out of the air by Malcom Jenkins.
• Pittsburgh’s second drive of the second quarter resulted in yet another end-zone interception thrown by Jones. Coates made a great grab along the sideline on 2nd-and-6 for a gain of 24 yards to the Philadelphia 31. The pass was initially ruled incomplete, but Mike Tomlin successfully challenged the play as Gene Steratore reversed the call. Daryl Richardson picked up a first down on 3rd-and-1 to put the ball on the Eagles’ 20, but Jones couldn’t connect with Coates in the corner of the end zone and the pass was intercepted by Aaron Grymes.
• The Steelers’ turnover woes negated a strong showing by Pittsburgh’s defense in the first half, which forced Philadelphia to punt the ball away on each of its first four drives. After Darren Sproles gained three yards on a 3rd-and-2 pass from Sam Bradford to move the Eagles into Steelers’ territory for the first time, Arthur Moats sacked Bradford for a loss of 12 yards to force Philadelphia to boot the ball away on its third drive.
• Facing a 2nd-and-1 from his own 36, Jones tossed a fourth interception with 46 seconds left in the first half. Jones was hit by Steven Means as he released the ball after Jesse James was beat on the block, causing the pass to flutter into the hands of Jaylen Watkins. The Eagles converted the takeaway into a six-play, 38-yard scoring drive that ended in a 40-yard field goal by Cody Parkey with seven seconds left to extend the Philadelphia lead to 10-0 heading into halftime.
• On the opening drive of the second half, Philadelphia marched 87 yards in 15 plays and 7:13 and capped it off with a five-yard run up the middle by Kenjon Barner for a touchdown. Barner accounted for 37 yards on the drive while Chase Daniel completed 5-of-8 passes for 51 yards – including a 23-yard pass to Paul Turner on 3-and-4 from the Pittsburgh 43 that set the table for Barner’s scoring run.
• Pittsburgh came away with its lone turnover of the game with just over two minutes to play as Garner forced a fumble by Cayleb Jones after a four-yard completion from McLeod Bethel-Thompson. Doran Grant recovered the fumble for the Steelers.
• With Vaughan under center in the second half, the Steelers mustered just 46 total net yards and gained just two first downs.

BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
• The Steelers have now lost 13 of their last 15 preseason games. Pittsburgh dropped to 21-19 (.525) under Tomlin in preseason action.
• Pittsburgh is now 13-12 (.520) all-time in the preseason against Philadelphia. The Steelers have now lost three-straight preseason games to the Eagles.
• The Steelers were shutout in the preseason for the first time since suffering a 10-0 blanking at the hands of the Carolina Panthers in the 2014 preseason finale at Heinz Field.
• Pittsburgh’s offense has gained only 394 yards, picked up just 22 first downs and managed one touchdown in two preseason games.
• In 13 career preseason appearances for the Steelers, Jones has thrown 10 interceptions.
• Grant has returned an interception for a touchdown and recovered a fumble in two preseason games.
• Berry averaged over 50 yards punting for the second time in two preseason games.
• The Philadelphia defense has come away with nine takeaways in two preseason games.
• Cody Wallace suffered a left knee injury.

QUOTABLE
Tomlin on Jones’ four interceptions
“That performance is an opportunity to reiterate what we already know: how important the turnover and possession of the ball is. We turned the ball over four times. Two times as we were going in, they had interceptions in their end zone. One time they had an interception and returned it for a touchdown. Another time they intercepted the ball, it allowed them to tack on three points via a two-minute drive before the half. So, the point differential and point impact of those plays was significant, but we know that. We got a painful illustration of it tonight. Sometimes it’s quality playmaking by them, sometimes it’s negligence by us, whether it’s route running or throwing, but they made the plays. Hopefully, we learn from that unpleasant experience.”

AROUND THE AFC NORTH
• The Cincinnati Bengals (1-1) came away with a 30-14 victory over the Detroit Lions (1-1) at Ford Field. Andy Dalton started and went 7-of-9 for 78 yards. A.J. McCarron finished 10-of-15 for 95 yards and a touchdown pass to Tyler Boyd. Jeremy Hill ran for a nine-yard first-quarter touchdown. Derron Smith intercepted Dan Orlovsky and ran the pick back 60 yards for a touchdown.
• The Cleveland Browns (0-2) dropped a 24-13 decision to the Atlanta Falcons (2-0) at FirstEnergy Stadium. Robert Griffin III completed 6-of-8 passes for 96 yards and a pair of touchdown strikes to Terrelle Pryor and Gary Barnidge in the first half.
• The Baltimore Ravens (1-0) visit the Indianapolis Colts (1-0) on Saturday (Aug. 20) in a 7 p.m. ET matchup at Lucas Oil Stadium. The contest will be nationally televised on NFL Network.

UP NEXT
The Steelers fly south to Bayou Country for their third preseason game to battle the New Orleans Saints next Friday (Aug. 26). Kickoff is slated for 8 p.m. ET from the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The contest will be televised on KDKA-TV.

Pittsburgh is 8-3 (.727) all-time against the Saints in preseason action. The Steelers and Saints last met in an exhibition contest in 2007 in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio, with Pittsburgh prevailing, 20-7, in Tomlin’s unofficial debut as the Steelers’ head coach. The Steelers last visited the Saints in the preseason in 1992 -- a 26-0 victory for New Orleans.

The Saints dropped their 2016 preseason opener to New England, 34-22, on Aug. 11 in Foxboro, Mass. New Orleans will take on the Texans (1-0) at NRG Stadium in Houston on Saturday at 8 p.m. ET in its second preseason matchup.

#SteelerNation

Last edited:

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Good write up! Thanks

Ahh the tomlin love starting early this year. Good stuff

IronMike52

Reaction score
Aside from his catch along the sideline last night, Sammie Coates has been so disappointing so far. At least Eli Rogers is showing something.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Aside from his catch along the sideline last night, Sammie Coates has been so disappointing so far. At least Eli Rogers is showing something.

Ehh. Look who is tossing the rock to him. I look back to last season more than this. Well until Ben tosses it around next week

P

POP

It's rare that I channel surf during a Steelers game, even a pre-season game. But last night was so horrid, such a bad version of football, that I channel surfed (of course, knowing I was DVRing it as well).

I am astonished that anyone is left to assert that Landry Jones is anything but complete hot garbage. Or that there is any QB on the roster who we have any hope of winning games if Ben goes down.

Any yet the Rooneys stubbornly try to cram a square peg into a round hole. They absolutely refuse to admit that their back up QB situation is a pile of burning ****.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I don't think we're going to be preseason champions this year. I just don't see them wanting it with them sitting the starters so much...😀

ark steel

Reaction score
I don't think we're going to be preseason champions this year. I just don't see them wanting it with them sitting the starters so much...

I already had my hat made!