• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Five things you probably didn’t know about the NFL’s drug policy

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Five things you probably didn’t know about the NFL’s drug policy

BY JACOB FELDMAN
Posted: Tue Jul. 12, 2016 9:15AM
More

The NFL’s marijuana policy has been all over the news lately, from criticism of the league’s stance by the likes of Eugene Monroe, Derrick Morgan and Jake Plummer to SI Films’ upcoming in-depth look at Ricky Williams’s relationship with the drug and the sport. But how much do you really know about the sport's actual testing, intervention and discipline procedures? We dug into the details to bring you five things you might not know about the current rules.

1. The league’s substance abuse policy predates its PED protocol. Commissioner Pete Rozelle first introduced a loose recreational drug code, focused on education, in 1971; the preseason testing structure still used today came into being as part of the ’82 CBA—and suspensions didn’t begin until ’89. Separate language for steroids didn’t appear until ’83.

2. Players outside the “intervention program”—those who’ve never had a violation—are tested just once a year. Anyone under contract is tested once between April 20 (yup: 4/20) and Aug. 9. The player is given at most a three-hour warning before being visited by a collector, who must directly witness the player providing the urine sample.

3. For every player suspended under the policy, five to 10 others anonymously enter and exit the intervention program. Not even teams are made aware of a player’s positive test until he is suspended, which only occurs after multiple violations. Team physicians, however, have that information in order to prevent cross-medication issues.

4. Marijuana is handled differently from all other substances. The discipline procedures for marijuana abusers are less strict than violations for all other drugs. Clause 1.5.2(c) states that an additional offense is allowed before suspensions are leveled in cases involving marijuana. And up until that point, fines for positive tests are less steep.

5. Hundreds of people are involved in the program. There are generally two or three clinicians per NFL team who administer treatment plans for each player in the program. Then there’s the legion of agents who help conduct 15,000-plus tests each year. Combined with the steroid program, the NFL spends about $13 million per year on its drug programs.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So basically it's so ******* easy to NOT break the rules you have to be a "junkie" to **** up...

You KNOW you will be tested at least once between 4/20 and 8/9

you can find out how long pot stay around in your system. (So you know when to stop using before 4/20.

You get 1 warning if you actually **** up!

In short, how ******' dumb do you have to be? Or more aptly put, how much of a junkie do you have to be? If you can't stop hitting the weed for just short of 4 months for X.Y million dollars a year, you may have a problem...

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
All I know it Roger Goodell is the judge, jury, and executioner, and can issue punishments as he sees fit.

One guy is guilty of auto manslaughter and gets 4 games. Another guy gets busted for pot and missed 4 games. And still another player is busted for pot, but his penalty is only 2 games.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
For every player suspended under the policy, five to 10 others anonymously enter and exit the intervention program. Not even teams are made aware of a player’s positive test until he is suspended, which only occurs after multiple violations. Team physicians, however, have that information in order to prevent cross-medication issues.

Didn't the Steelers know Bryant was a goner before it was announced?

Wow for every player suspended under the policy, five to 10 others anonymously enter and exit the intervention program? This to me is shocker.

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
The rules will change in the near future. Too many players smoke weed for pain, etc. along with the changing acceptance in society. Should be that you cannot come to work high, just like you can't come to work drunk. Players hurt and they are looking to medicate with marijuana rather than take a handful of pills. NFL will have to adjust.....soon.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The rules will change in the near future. Too many players smoke weed for pain, etc. along with the changing acceptance in society. Should be that you cannot come to work high, just like you can't come to work drunk. Players hurt and they are looking to medicate with marijuana rather than take a handful of pills. NFL will have to adjust.....soon.

I'd like to see a % of salary fined only on failed Pot tests, and allow the players to play in games.

Unless it's a DUI type of case or selling / funding money to the type of case. Then suspend them.

ark steel

Reaction score

I think the issue with Pot vs. Alcohol is that, with alcohol, if it is in your system and you test for drunk, you just drank. With Pot (or other drugs) you might have done it three days ago (or however long) and test positive. So, are you stoned this morning or just tired cause you stayed up all night chasing Pokémon? Test might show positive either way.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Let's set aside everyone's personal agenda about whether or not they WANT pot to be legal. I agree there's a ton of research that indicates that the active chemicals in pot are very likely quite good for people on a number of levels. I expect over time THC will be pharmaceutically released to everyone in a form that is less damaging to peoples' lungs etc. (There's no way around it, smoking is bad for you. Vaping is undoubtedly a better way to go and the edibles are likely better still), but I digress.

The fact is, right now, pot is against the rules and it would appear that it's really ******* easy to recognize when you'll be tested, and how to avoid pinging positive on those tests. You just don't hit the bong from about March through August. Problem ******* solved. Get a ******* CALENDAR! Mark 6 months of the year in GREEN and 6 months in RED. Your accountant will thank you.

Is it really that ******* hard?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

What are you talking about Doc? I work just fine while I'm drunk!

PS Pot will be legal in the NFL in the next 5 years.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
So after reading this it leads me to believe that Bryant has a real problem.. an addiction. Bell seems to be able to stop. If not stopped by the cops we wouldn't know about his usage at all. Hopefully he continues to be able to keep his urge at bay. Really has no choice now anyway.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So after reading this it leads me to believe that Bryant has a real problem.. an addiction. Bell seems to be able to stop. If not stopped by the cops we wouldn't know about his usage at all. Hopefully he continues to be able to keep his urge at bay. Really has no choice now anyway.

That part that blew me away was

For every player suspended under the policy, five to 10 others anonymously enter and exit the intervention program.

I'd venture a guess Bell is no stranger to pot, but he's smart enough to know he needs to stay clean this year and get paid.

Does Pot affect perfromance? When abused. Yes.

Heavy abusers of marijuana were found to suffer damage to social life, work or career status and cognitive ability. Schoolwork and the achievement of goals were also found to suffer.

http://www.narconon.org/drug-information/dangers-of-marijuana.html

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea AJ, I'm worried that Bryant = Randy Gregory or Josh Gordon. Though substance abuse is a terrible problem. Alienating someone with a problem is not the right way to expect a change, and that is what the NFL has in place right now. I hope he can turn it around, but I'm not optimistic, since he's not allowed to be around the team for 4-5mos.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Let's set aside everyone's personal agenda about whether or not they WANT pot to be legal. I agree there's a ton of research that indicates that the active chemicals in pot are very likely quite good for people on a number of levels. I expect over time THC will be pharmaceutically released to everyone in a form that is less damaging to peoples' lungs etc. (There's no way around it, smoking is bad for you. Vaping is undoubtedly a better way to go and the edibles are likely better still), but I digress.

The fact is, right now, pot is against the rules and it would appear that it's really ******* easy to recognize when you'll be tested, and how to avoid pinging positive on those tests. You just don't hit the bong from about March through August. Problem ******* solved. Get a ******* CALENDAR! Mark 6 months of the year in GREEN and 6 months in RED. Your accountant will thank you.

Is it really that ******* hard?

Dude, it is hard to keep track of space and time when you hitting the sour diesel blunt all the time.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think with what we really understand and know about weed now and that legalization seems inevitable and that it has medicinal value, it needs to be dropped. The NFL has enough bad publicity, it doesn't need more. If the guy gets a DUI from it or a situation like Bell ,that is different. He made it public with his own stupid actions. However, someone like Bryant who was smoking in his house to feel right. I don't know what the point is of trying to control that anymore.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to see a % of salary fined only on failed Pot tests, and allow the players to play in games.

Unless it's a DUI type of case or selling / funding money to the type of case. Then suspend them.

**** that. A rule is a rule. If they have a hard time following it then find a profession that allows you to get high whenever and however many times you want to. Everyone says they smoke for the pain. Maybe....but the ones we hear about mostly are right out of college. Not some 10 year vet.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I think with what we really understand and know about weed now and that legalization seems inevitable and that it has medicinal value, it needs to be dropped. The NFL has enough bad publicity, it doesn't need more. If the guy gets a DUI from it or a situation like Bell ,that is different. He made it public with his own stupid actions. However, someone like Bryant who was smoking in his house to feel right. I don't know what the point is of trying to control that anymore.

Well because the rules say right now he can't. And living in Pittsburgh Pa also makes it illegal. Why change a rule/law just because some young kid doesn't have the will power to not smoke weed. Hell why start smoking in the first place. Do I care if they smoke? Nope.....but if you get caught pay the piper for your actions.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Yea AJ, I'm worried that Bryant = Randy Gregory or Josh Gordon. Though substance abuse is a terrible problem. Alienating someone with a problem is not the right way to expect a change, and that is what the NFL has in place right now. I hope he can turn it around, but I'm not optimistic, since he's not allowed to be around the team for 4-5mos.

I worry about Bryant the man. Not Bryant the football player. If he is being isolated from the team and it is an issue for him then he needs to take this time to get help. Not help for his football career, but help so he can cope with the rest of his life. For what ever the reason he smokes for. The year off could be the best thing that has happened to him if he lets it be.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Well because the rules say right now he can't. And living in Pittsburgh Pa also makes it illegal. Why change a rule/law just because some young kid doesn't have the will power to not smoke weed. Hell why start smoking in the first place. Do I care if they smoke? Nope.....but if you get caught pay the piper for your actions.
I still think it is an irrelevant issue. It is neither a performance enhancer nor a serious drug. Like I said if he makes a public issue of it like Holmes or Bell, ok he put the league in an awkward position. But I wouldn't go looking for these problems anymore than I'd be concerned with a guy who has wild parties at his house where everyone gets bombed. In fact those with DUI convictions are far more serious in my opinion.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I still think it is an irrelevant issue. It is neither a performance enhancer nor a serious drug. Like I said if he makes a public issue of it like Holmes or Bell, ok he put the league in an awkward position. But I wouldn't go looking for these problems anymore than I'd be concerned with a guy who has wild parties at his house where everyone gets bombed. In fact those with DUI convictions are far more serious in my opinion.

Well it isn't irrelevant at this stage of the game. It is a banned substance in the drug policy and a illegal substance in the state of PA.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
there's no reason for the NFL to change policy. Weed is essentially legal in the NFL for 9 months of the year. The longest a player has to abstain is 3 months. And that is if their random test is on August. If their test happens to be in April, then they only have to go a few weeks without it.

rpollock

Reaction score
1. They target James Harrison

2. They target James Harrison

3. They target James Harrison

4. They target James Harrison

5. They won't let James Harrison film it

:logo: :herewego: :towel2:

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
My thought is that as long as it isn't a PED it shouldn't matter what players use. As long as they aren't intoxicated on game day it isn't any of the teams or leagues business.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Smoking weed doesn't make you run faster, catch better, jump higher etc.

Follow the NBA and take it off the banned substance list already, it's a joke that it is on the list.

I give a crap less what these guys do on their free time... Unless they are beating women/children, treating animals inhumanly (dog fighting), driving drunk etc. Football players are entertainers not moral pillars.