• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Faneca getting a taste of Coaching

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.steelers.com/news/articl...coaching/39424ab9-998d-43d0-8efa-70fee7827771

Former Steelers' guard Alan Faneca has been with the team since OTAs, helping the offensive line.

LATROBE, Pa. – When Alan Faneca retired from the NFL in 2010, he did so without any regrets. He was ready to step away from the game that turned into a 13-year NFL career, including playing for the Steelers from 1998-2007.

But lately he has gotten an itch to get close to the game again, one that had him place a call to Coach Mike Tomlin this offseason to inquire about getting a feel for what the coaching profession is like.

“I told him I was interested in checking out the coaching world and seeing what it was all about,” said Faneca. “He told me I could start by coming to OTAs and that is what got the ball rolling.

“I thought about it for a couple of years. It just wasn’t a right time for my family and I. Now we hit a point where it was like, hey remember that. I retired, didn’t do anything, chased the kids, had fun with the family and enjoyed that. Then you hit a point where it’s time to find something to do. I always had a passion for helping the younger guys when I was playing so it seemed like a natural place to start and check things out.”

Faneca is volunteering with the Steelers’ coaching staff during training camp, assisting offensive line coach Mike Munchak with his group and gaining valuable experience for something he might want to explore further.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I was able to get him to sign something for me last Sunday
No one reconized him.

IronMike52

Reaction score
It's awesome to see former Steelers like Faneca, Peezy, Jerry O and Carnell Lake on the coaching staff. Not only do they all have the backgrounds of playing at a high level in the NFL to tap in to, but they've done it in Pittsburgh. That has to be a huge benefit for the young guys as they learn the 'Steeler way' of doing things. Bruce Arians has also tapped into the pool of former Steelers, with Brenston Buckner coaching the d-line and Larry Foote and Levon Kirkland coaching backers in Arizona. Arians also hired Amos Jones and Larry Zierlein, though, so maybe I shouldn't give him too much credit.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I would think it would be easy to get a certain 7th rounder autograph if you were able to get to Latrobe...

Reactions: MTC

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I myself am very happy of the "Former" Steelers players turning coach. I kn ow they are NOT just there for being former players. They must have some ability to coach or they would be shown the door. It's all a plus for the younger players except Martavious and Le'veon, They'd prefer Micheal Irvin or randy moss........

Salute the nation