• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Eli Rogers primed for the slot role

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
On the Steelers: Little-known Eli Rogers gives Steelers different look at the slot-receiver position
August 5, 2016 12:00 AM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One year ago today, the Steelers waived an injured, little-known, undrafted rookie wide receiver, and few paid attention.

One year later, all kinds of people take notice of Eli Rogers, including his offensive coordinator and starting quarterback.

“We’ll see when we get to the games,” Todd Haley said, “but everything we’ve seen to this point, we haven’t had a slot guy like him since I’ve been here. It hasn’t been close.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Roethlisberger expressed similar sentiments.

Haley even compared Rogers to Wayne Chrebet, who caught 580 passes and 41 touchdowns over 11 seasons playing in the slot for the New York Jets. Chrebet also went undrafted from Hofstra and was the same size as Rogers, 5 feet 10, 187 pounds.

“Wayne Chrebet was probably more like this guy — quick, he’ll separate, catch the ball, make you miss,” Haley said.

Rogers not only has made a fast impression, but he had the advantage of developing as a slot receiver in college at Louisville. Haley was looking at another Cardinals player in 2015 when he noticed Rogers and how perfect he was for the slot, a “prototype,” he called him.

Most top receivers who enter the NFL played on the outside in college. They must worry about just beating the man covering them, even if it’s a double-team. The slot or inside receivers have to be aware of everything because they get it from the right, the left, down the middle and must adjust to it all.

“He’s unique,” Haley said. “Most of the college guys we get are outside receivers in college, and then you’re trying to convert them. Well, he played inside a bunch, so he’s got a very good feel already. He’s ahead of the game and he’s lightning quick.”

Haley has used Rogers in the slot often in practices with the first team when they use three wide receivers. If he continues to develop as they believe he can, it would allow Markus Wheaton, the Steelers’ slot man last season, to play more on the outside where he is better suited.

“I told Markus in the offseason I didn’t want to pigeon-hole him because he might be our second-best outside guy,” Haley said. “We know what he does inside, it’s very good and we can win with him but we may need him outside.”

Full story
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...e-slot-receiver-position/stories/201608050096

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
That's promising.. I knew the team was higher on him than we thought, but it sounds like Haley believes the kid can get regular snaps. Really hoping this is true along with Coates developing nicely - maybe we won't miss Martavis as much as we thought

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of these kind of stories coming out of camp every year. We will see in a few weeks who our final 53 are though.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
This is why Ayers has to be electric as a returner because there was never any real competition between him and Rogers. Rogers is a natural slot and also has been in the offense for two years now. Big head start..

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
Eli has great footwork (looking at his game film at Louisville). Not afraid to catch it in traffic.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
roughly the same size as Wheaton.

if Rogers CAN get the slot role, that would give us a very nice corps of WRs when we go 4 wide in Brown, Wheaton, Rogers and Coates.
which also presents the question: if Rogers can do the slot and Coates shows he can play, do we try to resign Wheaton or let him walk? We'd have quite a logjam at WR IF Bryant can come back and stay clean next season.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

if Rogers CAN get the slot role, that would give us a very nice corps of WRs when we go 4 wide in Brown, Wheaton, Rogers and Coates.
which also presents the question: if Rogers can do the slot and Coates shows he can play, do we try to resign Wheaton or let him walk? We'd have quite a logjam at WR IF Bryant can come back and stay clean next season.

I think they are going to let Wheaton walk either way. They'll have Coates and DHB coming back (and hopefully Bryant as well). Whether it is Rogers, Ayers or another receiver, that gives the Steelers a nice group back for 2017, even without Wheaton.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I know Ben loved this kid since last season...seems promising for sure.

awboatguy

Reaction score
This is why Ayers has to be electric as a returner because there was never any real competition between him and Rogers. Rogers is a natural slot and also has been in the offense for two years now. Big head start..
Oh my....still getting my feet wet with the whole camp start excitement, and still have a bit of a Stanley Cup hangover...BUT! Phrasing Dude! Are we still doing this?

awboatguy

Reaction score
I liked the idea of a pure slot receiver when we drafted him and that being the talk about Eli. He's 5'10" and 187lbs. That's perfect for a guy who will live in the middle of the field. His hands are good, but he knows how to put his body in front of the ball and protect the catch. Not too much film on this guy, but college notes are pretty good and his senior year he did return punts. So there's that lens to look at his potential contributions through. Hopefully, he's the real deal and we have another little hidden "only in Pittsburgh" gem again. Here we go!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
but everything we’ve seen to this point, we haven’t had a slot guy like him since I’ve been here. It hasn’t been close.

there is a bold statement

Steelerfreak

Reaction score

That's a big if.

Stoney

Reaction score

If Coates can consistently play the way he did in spots last season, I'd rather they sign Wheaton and try to trade Bryant. Bryant can be electric, but he will always be true to his nature, and that means he'll be getting a full year suspension sooner rather than later. You can't build a plan around a guy like that.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

yep, Ayers is going to have to kick *** returning punts....

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And the more Valuable Rogers makes himself as a WR the more they may want to keep him off PR too. Haha I'm trying Coolie. Give'em hell Ayers. Anything to make you know who shut the **** up