• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Crosby.... The Peyton Manning of the NHL?

RollRed

Reaction score
I know the guff I'm gonna get from this, but I'm sorry, it is what it is. No question the guy is a great hockey player, but if he is to be considered one of the all-time greats when it's all said and done, his post season production had better start matching his regular season production or I definitely think the comparisons with Manning will be unavoidable. I'm fully aware of the can of worms I'm opening here, but the numbers bear me out I believe. I know every team the Pens face prioritize stopping #87, but that is/was the case with every all-time great, no matter what the sport. The truly great ones were still able to lead their team to victory despite their opponent doing all they could to stop them. It's ridiculous that the Pens with a player like Sid ... and Malkin for that matter but that's a discussion for another day... to not be able to lead this team to more wins... especially when you also consider how well MAF was playing. I'm done... Let the arrows fly!!!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Crosby and Malkin need to produce in the playoffs, there is not denying that. But we have to face that the team wasn't very good heading into the season and wasn't very good heading into the playoffs.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
MAF is usually the reason we lose in the playoffs. He is very up and down in the playoffs. He always does something stupid or gives up a cheap goal. He is a good goalie but not a great goalie. I agree Crosby does need to produce in the playoffs but so does the entire team. This team sucked the last quarter of the season and couldn't score against the Rangers. Their goalie played lights out. We couldn't get anything past him.

Now, there is the problem. Back when Lemieux played, if they had a hot goal tender, they figured out their one weakness and relentlessly went at it so they could score. I haven't seen that in the past 5, 10 years. You can't blame that on Crosby but the coaching. Lundquist was stopping anything and everything. We should have figured out his weakness and specifically targeted it.

Spike

Reaction score
The Crosby hate is insane. He was the only chance on offense the entire series.

People need to learn the way the league is now one guy isn't going to be able to carry the scoring for a team through a tough series anymore.

I just don't know what more he could have done. He played a very good series with what little he had to work with.

meanwhile, "Crosby to play for Team Canada at World Championships"

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Look around the league. A team would rather have five Milan Lucics than five Sidney Crosbys. Why? Money and they want parody, grit, speed and toughness. The way of the superstar is growing extinct. If you don't have strong four lines and goalie, it doesn't matter much what your top one or two players do. They can be contained and the rest of the supporting cast needs to carry the slack. The Caps can't rely on Ovechkin alone. He needs a strong team around him. Same can be said about Tavares and the Isles. The Pens' bottom 6 was addressed(sort of), but the top 6 was sorely lacking in grit and skill. The cap situation will not make this team much better next season. They have a lot of holes to fill and limited funds, not to mention question marks surrounding Letang and Dupuis.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
While I might question his recent playoffs, he is no comparison to Manning.
Crosby has a Stanley Cup, a gold and silver in Junior World Championships and two Olympic Golds, including the Golden Goal in OT vs US.
His question marks are team leadership (same for Gretzky) and his ability to elevate the team around him -- Gretzky was the Greatest because he could do this, while Le Gros Vache had lesser success.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
The team in general has had trouble scoring in the playoffs the last few years. Both Crosby and Malkin have hardly done anything. Its hard to win when your stars do nothing. Before their recent drought I do not recall Crosby having trouble in the playoffs so I am not sure what is going on. I dont know if its coaching, the rest of the team, or Crosby himself. Seems like people either defend Crosby to the death or hate him. To me he needs to find a way to produce when it counts. He was not anything special the last olympics either. I think he is suffering from burnout, which is understandable. Somehow he needs to recharge his batteries.