• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coates continues to open eyes

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1470774507

Second-year WR Sammie Coates continues to open many eyes in Steelers training camp
August 9, 2016 12:30 AM
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Sammie Coates has made all types of catches since the Steelers put on the pads and started doing something other than running around in shorts. He has made two-handed catches above his helmet, one-handed sideline grabs around a defender, even laid out his 6-foot-2, 215-pound frame to catch a deep ball in the end zone.

Flashing such brilliance in the first full week of training camp might come as a surprise to those who said he had poor hands at Auburn, where he dropped one out of every five passes. But it doesn’t to Coates, and it doesn’t to the Steelers.

“You’re going to have some knocks on you,” Coates said. “The offense I was in, you didn’t get a lot of targets, so if I dropped one it was like the end of the world.”

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I thought he flashed pretty well in the pre season. Then in his playoff game he did pretty well. Bryant is a different kind of animal but I think he will be missed less than most would think. And with AB out there you can only have so many guys anyways. Coates is a bit more of a big body guy too. Bryant looks like Randy Moss and Coates is more Megaton.

Steeler

Contributor
Reaction score
I should know this, but what kind of speed does the kid have? Can he stretch the field?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought he flashed pretty well in the pre season. Then in his playoff game he did pretty well. Bryant is a different kind of animal but I think he will be missed less than most would think. And with AB out there you can only have so many guys anyways. Coates is a bit more of a big body guy too. Bryant looks like Randy Moss and Coates is more Megaton.
I like the Bryant/Moss comparison. IMO, Coates reminds me more of T.O. ...
I should know this, but what kind of speed does the kid have? Can he stretch the field?
Yep...check his Auburn highlights. He's a burner...

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

He was a deep ball threat for Nick Marshall at Auburn. Those two were fun to watch. Coates has size as well, so plenty of potential and plenty for us fans to get excited about

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I like the Bryant/Moss comparison. IMO, Coates reminds me more of T.O. ...

Yep...check his Auburn highlights. He's a burner...
Well Moss and Bryant are both tall lanky ugly *******, so that is a no brainer. To me TO and Megaton are pretty similar too. Both tall big body guys that can run. Throw Andre Johnson in the mix too. **** I hope Coates can be in that mold.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Coates isn't going to replace Bryant. There are few, if any, guys in the NFL who can do what Bryant can right now. He is truly a threat to score anytime he touches the ball. Coates is more balanced and should be able to help the Steelers offense on all parts of the field.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Bryant is amazing once he gets the ball. I can't think of a better receiver once he gets the ball. He just blows buy people who look like they have the angle on him. I would say Moss was more of a deeper route threat and less is a runner than Bryant. Coates seems more like a combo but not as good in one specific area. To compare these guys to moss, cj, to, and what not is a bit of a stretch at this point.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Coats is a bigger, faster Anquan Bolden, though his hands aren't as good. If he keeps working on them, he may be a go to receiver on 3rd down and goalline!

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't get the Bolden comparison. Bolden is a Hines Ward. He just eats up coverage especilly zone with his smarts and makes combat catches. A guy who way exceeds his physical abilities. Truth is I really can't compare these guys other than build, running and catch radius. You are right. Coats can't replace Bryant. But the 16 receiving corps could eclipse the 15. That is very reasonable.

Steelers1356

Reaction score
Bryant struggled last season with drops. Coates may actually turn out to be more reliable.

tdub88

Reaction score
Coats is a bigger, faster Anquan Bolden, though his hands aren't as good. If he keeps working on them, he may be a go to receiver on 3rd down and goalline!

Yep. And even though it's irrelevant right now, I think Bryant is a better rout runner than Moss(can run more than the deep post or out) and might have better hands.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Bryant struggled last season with drops. Coates may actually turn out to be more reliable.

keep the chains moving

I know people are pointing to this and that WR (Rogers,Coates) their improvement is vital.

I look for the money factor within the group, Wheaton. Like Jarvis on the other side (contract year) we know what we will see from them is their best. Whatever that may be. money moneyyy.

I really like the depth overall on this team, minus CB.

Slash#10

Reaction score
Coates is a guy who is trending in the right direction. He is exactly what you hope for in a draft pick. Remember this time last season Tomlin was very public and vocal about Coates not being in shape. With Bryant out at the beginning of last season Coates still didn't see the field. Now, he is in prime position for the no. 3 slot. Barring a setback, I think he has the potential to contribute in a big way with Brown demanding attention and Lev Bell back as a dual threat. Coates reads will be very simplistic, he just really needs to run crisp routes and understand the hot routes. I say he is good for 45 catches and 4 TD's

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Mosh Pitt

Reaction score
The TD catch that Bryant made against the Bengals in the playoffs was unbelievable. The Bryant / Brown combo is more dangerous and causes more mismatches than Coates / Brown. Bryant will be missed down the stretch.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The TD catch that Bryant made against the Bengals in the playoffs was unbelievable. The Bryant / Brown combo is more dangerous and causes more mismatches than Coates / Brown. Bryant will be missed down the stretch.

Agreed. Bryant will be missed. Freaky athletic, but I think Coates will step it up big time

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Coates should be much improved this year. We will need him to make plays