• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chris Hogan

RollRed

Reaction score
I know the Patriots have a history of taking players nobody else wants and inserting them into their offense where they become valuable contributing components of what at times seems to be an unstoppable offense.... especially against Pittsburgh. But am I really to believe that we don't have one player on the entire roster that plays in the secondary that can line up and cover Chris ******* Hogan man on man? This isn't Lance Alworth lining up out there.... it's Chris ************* Hogan!!! He was basically uncoverable tonight. I'm of the opinion that anyone that makes the final 53 man roster as a player in the defensive backfield on any NFL team is a person with tremendous athletic ability. Not only that, if you've made it this far you obviously have experience playing corner or safety and more than likely you were pretty darn good at it or else NFL teams wouldn't have given you a chance in the first place. Having said all of this, again I will digress back to my original point..... that it's hard to believe that there isn't a member of your secondary that you can turn to and say... " get in there and cover that guy...". How does it not occur to the coaching staff after watching the guy running uncontested through your secondary catching passes.... I believe he had 6 catches of over 20 yards, 2 of which were touchdowns... that maybe someone should get in there an at least attempt to cover the guy. It's not Jerry Rice or Megatron out there shredding your defense, it's a guy that would be lucky to earn a spot on most team's practice squad... but put him in a Patriots uniform and he turns into Steve Largent. It makes my brain hurt trying to understand how this happens.

mdk2

Reaction score
I know the Patriots have a history of taking players nobody else wants and inserting them into their offense where they become valuable contributing components of what at times seems to be an unstoppable offense.... especially against Pittsburgh. But am I really to believe that we don't have one player on the entire roster that plays in the secondary that can line up and cover Chris ******* Hogan man on man? This isn't Lance Alworth lining up out there.... it's Chris ************* Hogan!!! He was basically uncoverable tonight. I'm of the opinion that anyone that makes the final 53 man roster as a player in the defensive backfield on any NFL team is a person with tremendous athletic ability. Not only that, if you've made it this far you obviously have experience playing corner or safety and more than likely you were pretty darn good at it or else NFL teams wouldn't have given you a chance in the first place. Having said all of this, again I will digress back to my original point..... that it's hard to believe that there isn't a member of your secondary that you can turn to and say... " get in there and cover that guy...". How does it not occur to the coaching staff after watching the guy running uncontested through your secondary catching passes.... I believe he had 6 catches of over 20 yards, 2 of which were touchdowns... that maybe someone should get in there an at least attempt to cover the guy. It's not Jerry Rice or Megatron out there shredding your defense, it's a guy that would be lucky to earn a spot on most team's practice squad... but put him in a Patriots uniform and he turns into Steve Largent. It makes my brain hurt trying to understand how this happens.

Did you see the complex routes he was running tonight? Run straight and turn around.. that was literally all I seen him do all night. He stood in the endzone for the 8 seconds WIDE OPEN. It was unbelievable really. I don't care if they put a OL player in his place, that OL player would have done the same exact thing except on the flea flicker play, he had to outrun Mitchell there.

Steelerz99

Forefather
Reaction score
I am not sure they knew who he was. Maybe next time.

steelermania

Reaction score
They know where the gaps in the zone will be, and heaven forbid a defensive back make a wrong read. I really hope that Gilbert has gotten his head on straight, and will be ready to live up to his draft status, so that they can play much more man to man coverage, which is what it takes to slow these guys down.

Bill s55

Reaction score
Heaven forbid Butler adapts to gameplay. Yep let's keep leaving the middle and seams open.

So awesome to have to watch a game so horribly coached on all aspects.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The coaching was beyond pathetic. As I mentioned in another thread, he wasn't bumped at the line once tonight.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
We give more respect to their little piss ant WR's than we do AJ Green or any other big name wr, we man up on those guys, but not when we play NE. This is why I think it's Tomlin, we don't play this garbage defense all season until this game

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Receivers for the Pats are very different from other teams. They aren't really looking for physical mismatch guys. They look for guys who can speak the same language as Brady. It is really about being in the right spot against the defense based upon the call. If you have a defensive backfield that could truly play blanket man coverage the Pats are ******. Which is why a team like Seattle generally does very well against them. Furthermore if you put their receivers with a different type of QB they would be pretty useless.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Beat by a bunch of scrubs yet again. A bunch of nobodies and we can't even jam one mother ****** at the line. I don't even have words for it

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Hogan just made a few lacrosse players millions.

The Steelers made him look like Randy Moss.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
I don't buy these Steeler CBs are not man-to-man types and limited to the scheme. Friggin' Bellichik had his starting WR Troy Brown play slot corner for much of the 2004 SB season when Ty Law and Poole went down and the guy got interceptions. I was almost furious in the second half when not only were the CB's off 8-10 yards they were retreating further pre-snap! It was almost like the defensive gameplan was so geared to stop the long ball and keep everything underneath that they didn't care if the Pats chewed clock and yards. Almost like they were ok bending in hopes of preventing TDs in the red zone and even then they couldn't stop them when they got close. SO yeah....you're telling me the Steeler CBs cannot jam these 5'8" receivers and the result of doing that would be worse than having 36 points dropped on your head when they could have added another TD at the end of the game.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering all night who was supposed to cover him. As they hadt two players that needed to be stopped. At couldn't cover either of them.

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They played Zone. Playing zone is just table setting for a 9 course meal for Tom Brady.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

deljzc

Reaction score
The way you beat zone coverage is not with superior athleticism, you beat zone with superior smarts.

And the key part of all these castoffs that Belichick gets quality play from is smarts. They do EXACTLY what they are taught and they do it correctly play after play after play. When you have smart players, you can gradually build up your playbook throughout the season. You can expand route concepts. And the success you have builds confidence in the "Program" and methods the coaches teach (not that Belichick needs much more success to have his player believe in him).

That's part of what makes Belichick so good. The season is a process to him. He starts in OTA's and training camp, but the teaching never stops. Even during the season. And almost all the parts are interchangeable and multi functional. And Brady is just the perfect quarterback for this type of mindset.

We weren't beat because Hogan is a great player or a great athlete. We were beat by the PLAY and how they set that play up to be successful both by what they likely showed pre-snap, all the way to how the play was executed by everyone on the field.

One thing you can't criticize about Belichick is how he prepared and sets up plays to be successful. Both during games, but also during the season.

mdk2

Reaction score
Julio Jones and this guy had pretty much the same stats lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Coaching was responsible for this game. Period

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Julio Jones and this guy had pretty much the same stats lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat line was identical.

9-180-2

Harry_BZAC

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't understand it either. Even Phil Simms mentioned how the Steelers needed to change to more man coverage. Also what's puzzling is that (I think) the last time we beat Brady we played man coverage and our defense was friggin great! If I can remember that then why couldn't Butler and Tomlin?

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
It's almost as if the Steeler coaches decided, "Well, because they EXPECT us to change it up and play man, we're not going to give them what they want. Therefore, we're STICKING TO ZONE!!! See how smart we are!!!!"

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
To sum up Hogan vs. Tomlin and the Steelers:

Hogan.jpeg

Chris Hogan

Capt_film.jpg

Mike Tomlin ... "Hoooooogan"