• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Brian Allen is the first Steelers draft pick to sign / 4 players waived by Steelers

Spike

Reaction score
The Steelers announced that fifth-round pick Brian Allen became the first of their eight picks to agree to a contract with the team.

Allen made the move from wide receiver to corner when he got to the University of Utah and developed into a starter over the course of his time with the Utes. The Steelers are betting that the 6’3″, 215-pound Allen will continue to develop as a cornerback now that he’s in their organization.

“He has good skills with playing the football, is long at the line of scrimmage and plays press coverage in man,” defensive backs coach Carnell Lake said in a release from the team. “He hasn’t played the position very long, but he has shown a real knack for a position-converted receiver. There are a lot of upsides with this player.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...en-becomes-first-steelers-draft-pick-to-sign/

--------------------

Making room

Shabazz among 4 players waived by Steelers

Cornerback Al-Hajj Shabazz, a contributor on special teams for part of the 2017 season, was one of four players waived by the Steelers on Tuesday.

Running backs Brandon Brown-Dukes and Gus Johnson and wide receiver Canaan Severin also were waived.

Shabazz appeared in eight games with the Steelers last season, and he spent three stints on the active roster. The Houston Texans claimed him off waivers on Dec. 5, but was released 12 days later. He re-signed with the Steelers in late December. Shabazz had three special teams tackles with the Steelers, and he played on special teams during the wild-card playoff game against Miami, forcing a fumble.

Shabazz became expendable when the Steelers drafted cornerbacks Cameron Sutton in the third round and Brian Allen in the fifth.

Severin spent last season on injured reserve. Brown-Dukes and Johnson were on the practice squad and signed futures contracts this season.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12256288-74/shabazz-among-4-players-waived-by-steelers

Spike

Reaction score
What is a Ute?

Injuns

utes-horseback-480x270.jpg

Reactions: JMM

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
One down 7 to go !

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
as reported, Allen received a four year contract, and since rookie contracts are no longer negotiable, Allen should be receiving a $2.6 million dollar contract including a $230,188 signing bonus, per Ian Whetstone on Twitter.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Keep them signing and lets get em all done. A 6'3" CB, kind of new thing here in steelervill...............

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Keep them signing and lets get em all done. A 6'3" CB, kind of new thing here in steelervill...............

Salute the nation

If the only thing they teach him is to play in a sub formation and match up with Gronk and that is all he is worth the pick.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Salute the nation

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/05/steelers-sign-seventh-round-olb-keion-adams/

another one signed

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Keep them coming and this NON negotiable rookie contract is GREAT. No more breaking the bank on an unknown.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Keep them coming and this NON negotiable rookie contract is GREAT. No more breaking the bank on an unknown.

Salute the nation

I remember when the rookie cap was put in place, I was like man teams will now reach on need more than ever.

Which does nothing but help the Steelers picking BPA.

What I am curious about is the differential to were the Steelers won't draft player B over player A.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/05/steelers-sign-sixth-round-ls-colin-holba/

and the long snapper is under contract /and the crowd goes wild
:tongue-new:

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/05/steelers-sign-third-round-rb-james-conner/

beast mode! signed........

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Was listening to SNR yesterday and they went a little wild when Allen made a leaping 1 handed interception.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...ers-sign-second-round-wr-juju-smith-schuster/

Juju signed yayyy

deljzc

Reaction score
Was listening to SNR yesterday and they went a little wild when Allen made a leaping 1 handed interception.

Allen started as a wide receiver and has hands. And he is very long so when he gets up, it's normally kind of spectacular looking. He had some of those in college as well.

But he is a pretty raw player, still developing and not a very good tackler (I'd love for Coach to tell me Allen tackles better in college than Davis). I also worry about his downfield coverage ability against elite quick-twitch athletes.

He's an odd fit right now for me. He's not a cover-corner to me. He's a zone corner who's length makes it very hard to throw over him and in front of the safety coming down into the play. That's his forte. But covering guys laterally across the field is not what he can do. He will have a lot to learn in how to hand off responsibilities in a complex NFL zone scheme. And he is new to the position.

Only way I see him make the roster is if he excels at special teams. I actually think he's going to end up on the practice squad. That's my guy instinct right now. We will see.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Allen started as a wide receiver and has hands. And he is very long so when he gets up, it's normally kind of spectacular looking. He had some of those in college as well.

But he is a pretty raw player, still developing and not a very good tackler (I'd love for Coach to tell me Allen tackles better in college than Davis). I also worry about his downfield coverage ability against elite quick-twitch athletes.

He's an odd fit right now for me. He's not a cover-corner to me. He's a zone corner who's length makes it very hard to throw over him and in front of the safety coming down into the play. That's his forte. But covering guys laterally across the field is not what he can do. He will have a lot to learn in how to hand off responsibilities in a complex NFL zone scheme. And he is new to the position.

Only way I see him make the roster is if he excels at special teams. I actually think he's going to end up on the practice squad. That's my guy instinct right now. We will see.

Nice summary Del. I've heard other evaluators compare him to a raw Davis and he could become position flexible as a safety. But no doubt he needs to be a productive special teamer (gunner) first and foremost while learning the DB position. He wouldn't last on the PS. Much less make it through waivers.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He's huge, long and fast. I know his tackling is in need of help. Ahh well...we shall surely see what happens.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/05/steelers-sign-fourth-round-qb-joshua-dobbs/

Dobbs signed....

what does that leave Watt and Sutton?

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/06/steelers-sign-first-round-olb-t-j-watt/

all signed yeahhh