• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bowman, anyone?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
49ers Have Made It Known LB Navorro Bowman Is Available For Trade
http://nfltraderumors.co/49ers-made-known-lb-navarro-bowman-available-trade/
Nate Bouda

Michael Lombardi of TheRinger mentioned on the “GM Street” podcast that the 49ers have made it known that veteran LB Navorro Bowman is available for trade.

Lombardi says that the 49ers’ regime of Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch plan to “clean out” the team’s roster and Bowman is available if someone’s interested.

Given that Bowman has dealt with injuries and the fact that he’s owed a lot of money in the coming years, Lombardi thinks the 49ers would move him for very little in return.

While Bowman has been an important player for the 49ers’ defense for several years, it’s clear that the new regime is open for business in regards to most of the players they inherited, which includes TE Vance McDonald.

Considering the money he’s owed, the injury concerns, and his age, I’m not sure there will be a ton of interest in trading for him before the 2017 season. That’s not to say he can’t be a great player or anything, but these issues always play into the level of trade interest from other teams.

Bowman, 28, is a former third-round pick of the 49ers back in 2010. He’s currently in the second year of his seven-year, $77 million contract that includes $20 million guaranteed and stands to make a base salary of $6.75 million for the 2016 season.

Bowman’s 2016 season came to an end after he suffered a season-ending Achilles tear. In total, Bowman appeared in four games and recorded 24 tackles, a forced fumble, an interception and two pass defenses.

We’ll have more regarding a potential Bowman trade as the news is available.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Man that's tempting. Gonna say pass on injury concerns and his contract.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I'd love to see him in the Black & Gold but injuries are too worrisome for 6.75 million then 8.75 million for next year. If he gets cut I would definitely bring him in for a visit and physical.

ark steel

Reaction score
Regardless of his health before, he gets immediately hurt if we do sign him. its a trend.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
not locking into any one player as a want, but with contract concerns...can't those always be adjusted? or torn up even and given a new one?

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
At this point, baring injury or off the field BS, I think we should just take who have to camp and see how it shakes out.

Reactions: GMC

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
At this point, baring injury or off the field BS, I think we should just take who have to camp and see how it shakes out.

well we can shake it out, upside round and round but I still prefer to bring in a S and a ILber before season starts. Timmons departure has to be a slight concern. Unless they plan on going with DE DE NT OLB OLB ILB CB CB CB SS FS.

ark steel

Reaction score
Gerald Hodges would be a much smarter option.

I can't figure out why he is still an FA or any guesses as to his asking price.

Saw one note that he had been withheld from a game for violating a team rule, but not what it was.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
In 2013 he may have been the best inside backer in the league. The old knee, the achilles, money, and no thanks.

Honestly, he probably has some left but not at that price. Damn, he was awesome before that nasty knee in 2014.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Saw one note that he had been withheld from a game for violating a team rule, but not what it was.

probably going Facebook Live during a team meeting.

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score

From https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/05/jets-host-lb-gerald-hodges-visit

Jets Host LB Gerald Hodges On Visit - May 10th

Hodges spent last season with the 49ers and had a better season than you might realize. All in all, the 26-year-old totaled 80 tackles, three sacks, and two interceptions in 15 games (12 starts) with San Francisco. He also graded 21st among Pro Football Focus’ 87 qualified linebackers. Hodges met with the Chiefs and Seahawks in March, but besides those powwows, we haven’t heard of any other team having serious interest in him until today.

The rebuilding Jets added West Georgia linebacker Dylan Donahue in the fifth round of this year’s draft, but he’s likely ticketed to play on the outside. The Jets project to start David Harris and Darron Lee at the inside linebacker spots with Bruce Carter as the first ILB off the bench, but Hodges, a New Jersey native, could push Randell Johnson for a spot on the 53-man roster.

--------------------------

Maybe they think we don't need anyone else and Vince can fill that gap with last years draftees and practice squad guys as backups. If they think that Fort and Matakevich are keepers then why waste the money?

Or maybe extending our players is the priority and they will look at fringe free agents after that if they have the spare cash?

ZACKB

Reaction score
Fort and Stevie Johnson would be next up and are no way as good as Hodges. If one of our starting ILB's get hurt for an extended amount of time, we are screwed.

ark steel

Reaction score
Fort and Stevie Johnson would be next up and are no way as good as Hodges. If one of our starting ILB's get hurt for an extended amount of time, we are screwed.

I like Vince. As a back up, he is solid. Not so sure I'm ready to ride with him as the starter.

ZACKB

Reaction score
I'm ok with VW as a starter. In pass defense you pull him out and use a safety for pass defense. Our ILB depth is ok, but none of those guys are starters, so if Shazier or Vince goes down...we are in big trouble. Safety depth is weak too, but Golden is decent...Gay could also play safety if needed.

There will be vet cuts...I assume at S and ILB we will be on the lookout.

I like Vince. As a back up, he is solid. Not so sure I'm ready to ride with him as the starter.

ark steel

Reaction score
I'm ok with VW as a starter. In pass defense you pull him out and use a safety for pass defense. Our ILB depth is ok, but none of those guys are starters, so if Shazier or Vince goes down...we are in big trouble. Safety depth is weak too, but Golden is decent...Gay could also play safety if needed.

There will be vet cuts...I assume at S and ILB we will be on the lookout.

I don't know that this is always so easy as people here seem to think. If the O goes into no-huddle (or some form of hurry up) on that down with no substitutes, you don't have time for this.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
i can't see spending any money on an ILB. If the steelers saw it as that big of a need, they would have kept Timmons, or they would have signed a free agent like Zack Brown who was available for a long time.

The way i see it is that ILB will now be the position that comes off the field in the nickel instead of NT. Hargrave has pass rush skills. They have a good 6 man rotation on the DL now with Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, Alualu, Walton, and McCullors.

Best front 6 for nickel
3-3-5
Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, Harrison (Watt), Shazier, Dupree

4-2-5
Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, Alualu, Shazier, Dupree

I'll be surprised if the steelers don't use a 3-3-5 or even a 4-2-5 as their base nickel formation. Vince Williams or Matakevich are not pass rushers, and neither is great in coverage. Leaving a DL on the field brings more pass rush.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
i can't see spending any money on an ILB. If the steelers saw it as that big of a need, they would have kept Timmons, or they would have signed a free agent like Zack Brown who was available for a long time.

The way i see it is that ILB will now be the position that comes off the field in the nickel instead of NT. Hargrave has pass rush skills. They have a good 6 man rotation on the DL now with Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, Alualu, Walton, and McCullors.

Best front 6 for nickel
3-3-5
Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, Harrison (Watt), Shazier, Dupree

4-2-5
Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, Alualu, Shazier, Dupree

I'll be surprised if the steelers don't use a 3-3-5 or even a 4-2-5 as their base nickel formation. Vince Williams or Matakevich are not pass rushers, and neither is great in coverage. Leaving a DL on the field brings more pass rush.

not purchasing this thought.

Perhaps the Steelers saw Timmons as a step slow and a liability in coverage, and thought they had a possible better option at this stage in Williams. Regardless they thought enough to bring in the pats ILBer and throw money his way.

Think he would have been given every opportunity to start?

I am not sure we can sit comfy with what is behind Williams as far as experience either. It isn't like they drafted a high option to groom.

And we know on the other side Shazier isn't exactly the model of health.

For me that position is the most worrisome on both sides of the ball, with S maybe having a fight in the discussion............

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Timmons has lost a step but he's still better than what the steelers have. The seem comfortable going ahead with Vince and Matakevich. That tells me that they either really like them or they have de-valued that ILB position.

Zack Brown is a quality ILB and the steelers had no interest. They looked a Hightower who would have been an upgrade but it doesn't seem they put much effort into pursuing him. Reports were that they were high on Jarad Davis ILB from Florida as a possible 1st rounder.

Seems to me they were only interested in a stud or nothing and didn't care which. That tellls me the plan is for it to be a 2 down position.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Timmons has lost a step but he's still better than what the steelers have. The seem comfortable going ahead with Vince and Matakevich. That tells me that they either really like them or they have de-valued that ILB position.

Zack Brown is a quality ILB and the steelers had no interest. They looked a Hightower who would have been an upgrade but it doesn't seem they put much effort into pursuing him. Reports were that they were high on Jarad Davis ILB from Florida as a possible 1st rounder.

Seems to me they were only interested in a stud or nothing and didn't care which. That tellls me the plan is for it to be a 2 down position.

I think if you really just sit on this and think.

What if it is indeed a 2 down position? With Vince who gets taken out for a CB on third down? (I would hope more in obvious passing situations, not third and ones.

If this came to pass it might be the answer that should have been last year. The answer to the leaky third down passing D.

Now for the answer to the leaky 1st and second down passing D. I am hoping a second year with Burns and a new inside CB can help solve that too.........