• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

and you people get in a tizzy when Tombert announces who he wants...

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/eagles_are_going_to_try_to_move_up_for_oregon_quar.html

Source says Eagles are plotting several draft moves to grab Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota

Admitting it's not going to be easy, a person familiar with the Eagles' offseason plans says the team "is going to try'' to move up in the NFL Draft to select Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota.

The Eagles have the 20th overall pick โ€” and Mariota, who could go as high as No. 1, is not expected to fall out of the top five picks. The first day of the draft is April 30.

"From No. 20, it's certainly not going to be easy,'' said the person, who requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak on the subject. "It's probably going to take moving up twice to do it. There's going to be some wheeling and dealing involved.''

Asked if he thought it could happen, the response was telling.

"Can it happen?'' he asked. "I don't know. But they're going to try.''

Eagles head coach Chip Kelly recruited Mariota to Oregon and coached him for his first two years there. Kelly has not hidden his feelings about the quarterback, calling him the "most talented kid I coached in college," while reminding reporters he predicted Mariota would win the Heisman Trophy when he saw him as a freshman. (Mariota won the award in 2014.) Most recently, Kelly compared Mariota to future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning.

Mariota was quoted as saying it would be fun to be with his old college coach again.

"Obviously, [with] my relationship with Coach Kelly, it'd be a lot of fun to be a part of that offense and be a part of that team," Mariota said.

With the recent shuffling of the Eagles' front office, Kelly now has the final say on personnel matters, answering only to owner Jeffrey Lurie, who writes the checks.

"That makes it a little easier,'' the person said. "There isn't anyone in (Kelly's) way.''

What it would take to move from No. 20 to the top five has been debated. One NFL personnel executive told NJ Advanced Media a month ago that he would ask for a No. 1 and a No. 2 this year, a No. 1 next year and running back LeSean McCoy.

Some have speculated it would take a package of at least three first-round picks and additional picks. Others have thrown out the idea of a "Mike Ditka'' deal in which the Eagles would send all of their 2015 picks to a team for the chance to land Mariota, much like the former New Orleans Saints head coach did in 1999 in order to select Texas running back Ricky Williams.

Teams making bold moves to acquire a certain player have seen it backfire on them, however. The Saints failed to win after the historic trade and it cost Ditka his job. But the Redskins, who acquired the picks, struggled, too. They won the NFC East in 1999, then missed the playoffs the next five seasons.

The Redskins also were involved in another draft mega-deal when they traded up with the St. Louis Rams to select quarterback Robert Griffin III. In addition to swapping picks with the Rams, the Redskins traded away two first-round picks and a second-round selection.

The Redskins won the NFC East with a healthy RGIII in his rookie year, but injuries and Griffin's regression have made the deal look bad since. Despite stocking up on draft picks, the Rams have had three straight losing seasons.

In 2004, the Giants traded for quarterback Eli Manning and won two Super Bowls.

In 1983, Denver gave up a mix of picks and players to obtain the rights to quarterback John Elway and that worked out pretty well for the Broncos, who appeared in five Super Bowls with Elway at quarterback, winning two.

Follow Mark Eckel on Twitter at @MarkEckel08. Find NJ.com Sports on Facebook.Contact Mark Eckel at mjeck04@verizon.net.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
I heard that rumor at a Christmas party.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
stupid if Chgip does it they used a 2 on Foles and a 3 bon Barkley they have major needs on D esp at S, I would expect them to target Landol Collins instead move up 6-10 spots,I don't think they will sacrifise a whole draft to get mariota, big smoke screen.

they would like to offer Tampa rounds 1-5 + Foles and with thier ****** secondary this would be stupid Chip thinks only offence wins games.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
they watched the movie draft day, now they think you can do just anything on such a day

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Meh, so you trade your whole draft for one player. We don't have anyone left from '08 and '09 and it hasn't hurt us.
Oh wait.....

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
The game is afoot.....

Would Eagles trade LeSean McCoy to Raiders for 1st pick in 2015 NFL Draft, draft Marcus Mariota?

Everybody loves a good hypothetical, right?

With the Oakland Raiders season already over, ESPN has put out a "what if" scenario that might hit home for Eagles fans.

The question? What if the Eagles traded Pro Bowl running back LeSean McCoy to the Raiders before the NFL trading deadline next week.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...aft.html/RK=0/RS=N1JXTEXHfmFbm0SYEdz3ehlWHro-

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh pleaaaase Philly do it! I dare ya!!

If I'm Oakland, I play hardball and get McCoy and as many draft picks that I can get

deljzc

Reaction score
My boss has sports radio on all day and my office is next to his so I am pretty much hearing 24-7 Eagles and Mariota talk (have you seen what the Flyers and 76ers' records are lately???).

It's nauseating.

I don't see it good or bad either way. I've said to my Eagles friends that I don't scout Mariota that high yet (still a lot of film work on this draft class to do). He's got a lot of Russell Wilson in him, but I don't think he quite has that natural accuracy in his passing that Wilson does. But he is bigger than Wilson, which is a nice plus. The accuracy has to come from a LOT of work on fundamentals (and might never come). The tools are there and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and that alone will make him a 1st round pick. I'm just not sure it's going to be all great and successful from day one.

That said, if I was Tennessee, my initial cost for the #2 pick is the Eagles next THREE 1st rounders (2015-2017), Lane Johnson and Nick Foles. That's what I want and I am listening to any/all other offers from other teams needing QB's so the price might go higher, not lower as we get closer to the draft. There are many Eagles fans that say they are willing to pay that. We'll see what Chip thinks.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
My boss has sports radio on all day and my office is next to his so I am pretty much hearing 24-7 Eagles and Mariota talk (have you seen what the Flyers and 76ers' records are lately???).

It's nauseating.

I don't see it good or bad either way. I've said to my Eagles friends that I don't scout Mariota that high yet (still a lot of film work on this draft class to do). He's got a lot of Russell Wilson in him, but I don't think he quite has that natural accuracy in his passing that Wilson does. But he is bigger than Wilson, which is a nice plus. The accuracy has to come from a LOT of work on fundamentals (and might never come). The tools are there and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and that alone will make him a 1st round pick. I'm just not sure it's going to be all great and successful from day one.

That said, if I was Tennessee, my initial cost for the #2 pick is the Eagles next THREE 1st rounders (2015-2017), Lane Johnson and Nick Foles. That's what I want and I am listening to any/all other offers from other teams needing QB's so the price might go higher, not lower as we get closer to the draft. There are many Eagles fans that say they are willing to pay that. We'll see what Chip thinks.
Expensive, but, more than likely true...

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
If I were in their division, I would counter that move by drafting Ohio State.

deljzc

Reaction score
Expensive, but, more than likely true...

There are a couple things that make it work.

1. The Eagles likely will continue to pick in the 20-25 range so 3 first rounders isn't THAT much. When you consider the Rams got picks #6, #39 and first rounders from a WORSE TEAM the next two following seasons it's not outrageous.

2. Lane Johnson is the key. It's either him, Fletcher Cox or Michael Kendricks - the only 1st contract players of any worth on the Eagles roster. I choose Johnson because the idea of having Johnson and Lewan as bookend tackles for a decade is awesome in Whisenhunt's system. I also think with Johnson's PED bust there is some risk there that could lower his price just a tad (I think he's the best player of the three, but he's got the PED bust on his record).

3. While I know the Eagles want to keep Foles for a year while Mariota is on the bench, if I was Tennessee I want him at that last cheap year of his rookie deal just to add some competition with Mettenberger. Personally I actually think Foles is better and Whisenhunt might get along with Foles very well. The Eagles also have a lot of cap money to go get a rental QB for a season while Mariota gets ready or they could just decide to start Mariota right away (it's not like he has to learn a whole new system).

4. With the #22 pick (or whatever the Eagles have) you figure the Titans can still fill in some holes on defense (pass rusher) and maybe pick up a decent WR at pick #34.

It really could be a win-win deal although if I was the Eagles I'd try to get out of parting ways with Johnson.