• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

1st CFP Out

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...clemson-michigan-lead-texas-edging-washington

Alabama, Clemson and Michigan are the top three teams in the first College Football Playoff rankings -- but it's the fourth and fifth spots that will have fans and pundits talking.

One-loss Texas A&M is fourth, followed by undefeated Washington. The top four teams at the end of the season will advance to the semifinals, which this year are set for the Fiesta and Chick-Fil-A Peach bowls on Dec. 31.

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
Washington being behind A&M is bullshit, but if it were the end of the year it would never happen. If Washington runs the table, they're in. No Power 5 school that is undefeated will ever miss the playoff unless there is one from every P5 conference which will never happen.

Penn State being 12th is a little crazy. Also, Pitt has only lost 3 games by a total 11 points to 3 ranked teams. Just saying. And we beat the #12 team.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Penn State ranked 12 is garbage. They suck dick.

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Penn State at 12 seems crazy until you look at the teams behind them and ask who has a better win than Penn State over #2 Ohio State? Nobody. Also, Penn State's only losses are to Michigan and a last second loss to Pitt where Penn State dropped the game winning TD.

The other factor the committee looks at is improvement. Penn State has clearly gotten better each week

str8liner

Reaction score
Yep beat me too it.... 1 dropped pass from being a 1 loss team with tons of injuries and the only other loss would be to the team that will most likely play in the Championship game. UM will kill OSU. Forget about it.

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Now way A&M should be in the top 4. My or 6 maybe. Penn State is another story. As much as I love seeing them there, I'd still have them back around 20, where they are ranked in the other polls. Not sure how they came up with 12. Hope they run the table this year, though. It would be huge for a program that got royally screwed by the acts of Sandusky.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the Penn State rivalry doesn't exist according to PSU fans, but yet here again PSU fans have Pitt on their minds. No matter how many wins they get this year or how high they get ranked, just remember what happened on September 10th, 2016. 42-39. Hail to Pitt.

Do Pitt fans remember what happened on November 28, 1981? Do they know that Penn State still leads the series?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Washington being behind A&M is bullshit, but if it were the end of the year it would never happen. If Washington runs the table, they're in. No Power 5 school that is undefeated will ever miss the playoff unless there is one from every P5 conference which will never happen.

Penn State being 12th is a little crazy. Also, Pitt has only lost 3 games by a total 11 points to 3 ranked teams. Just saying. And we beat the #12 team.

This is why the playoffs should be expanded to 8 teams. I hate the idea of leaving a very good 5th team out that played better competition.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
This is why the playoffs should be expanded to 8 teams. I hate the idea of leaving a very good 5th team out that played better competition.

This is why I hate college football. I love the product and the games, but politics have ruined the playoffs. If there isn't at least a 12-16 team playoff, it's not a real national championship IMHO.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Yeah the Penn State rivalry doesn't exist according to PSU fans, but yet here again PSU fans have Pitt on their minds. No matter how many wins they get this year or how high they get ranked, just remember what happened on September 10th, 2016. 42-39. Hail to Pitt.

And Ravens fans brag about beating the Steelers twice last year. Enjoy your company.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Bama is gonna win it again. Washington deserves top 4 consideration. They got snubbed

str8liner

Reaction score
So PSU gets ranked, a thread gets started, Pitt fans complain about PSU being ranked, and PSU has Pitt on their minds?

:whistle1:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
So PSU gets ranked, a thread gets started, Pitt fans complain about PSU being ranked, and PSU has Pitt on their minds?

Pitt will kick their *** again if it came to it. I've been rooting for Pitt this season

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score

PSU should be ranked obviously, but I think somewhere around 16th for right now. My issue is Penn State fans I know act like because Penn State is having a good season that Pitt fans shouldn't even think about the PSU vs Pitt game. Fans are allowed to be happy when they beat their rival.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
As a Maryland basketball fan, the big rival was Duke. Maryland had some excellent teams in the early 2000s and was a legit rival. Duke students are some of the smartest and best organized fans in NCAA sports. Their big chant when they played Maryland was "Not our rival". Man did it burn the MD players and fans. UNC is Duke's rival and always will be.

I see this Pitt PSU 'rivalry' the same way.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Nice to see Penn State climbing back into this popularity contest. The Ohio state victory pushed them into the mix. I've personally always hated this poll ranking bullshit,but it is what it is. A real playoff system takes care of that.

Hobbster

Reaction score
PSU should be ranked obviously, but I think somewhere around 16th for right now. My issue is Penn State fans I know act like because Penn State is having a good season that Pitt fans shouldn't even think about the PSU vs Pitt game. Fans are allowed to be happy when they beat their rival.

I am one of the rare people who have been both a PSU fan and a Pitt fan, when young in the 1970's and 80's I use to root for whoever had best chance to make a run at being number 1. Probably since Pitt has not really had a real chance at much since the 1989 other than maybe 2009, I have been more of a PSU fan, but still root for Pitt.

Having said that I agree, I think PSU has improved and that improbable victory over Ohio State helps, they still should be around 15th or 16th, if they beat Iowa then maybe a higher ranking.

obxsteeler

Reaction score
Since non of this counts till the last poll who cares.